PDA

View Full Version : Template editing from job??

matmac
10-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Is there a way to edit template used in a job from the signature list?

Double-clicking on signature results in - Job Signature information

Right-clicking on signature results in - Preview window

A menu item or button "Edit signature" would be great, as opposed to:
1. File > Open Template > From Template folder. (Cmd-L)
2. Identify template in menu, select and open.
3. Identify signature in signature listing, select then zoom to screen width.
4. Make modification to signature.
5. Save and return to job.

The first 3 steps of finding the signature within the nominated template could be eliminated.

Jpeg attached of revised Signature Selection window.

Regards,

Matt

--

PREPS: 5.2 Pro
MacOS: 10.3.9
Mac: G5 D2 2G/160x2/SD

jay.zipursky
10-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Matt,

That's an interesting idea. Do you want to make edits to the signature that are only for that job, or do you want them saved back to the template for future jobs, too?

Also, what kind of changes do you need to make?

Thanks,
Jay

jgarbisch
10-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Note to Kodak:

Yes! This idea makes a lot of sense. Have a button and menu item with a *keyboard shortcut*. Less mouse clicks/keystrokes to accomplish the same task is always welcome.

Thank you.

matmac
10-24-2006, 03:52 AM
Hi Jay,

The bulk my of imposition work is to predefined templates. Ie. 8pp Sheetwork 4col that doesn't change. This is directed at the custom jobs that are more involved that require a template specifically for that job. Ie. jobs with foldouts or irregular page sizes. Sometimes the jobs need to be imposed on screen for the production staff to view, then make decisions on double cuts / grips / sheet styles. etc. Other times it might just be an omission on my part that needs to be fixed!!

It just seems a long way around to physically locate the template from a list when it is there in front of you in the signature listing. I don't know how many templates most users have but I have ~200.

Matt

robinx
12-08-2006, 05:35 AM
oh yes! oh yes dear! i have the same idea for some time ago; i've asked about that idea my local dealer but with no response. so, the huge timesaver would be just the ability to click the name of the template that job curently use as seen in signature list - and have it open in template editor. there are many occasions when something just needs to be edited/fixed in the template for currently open job. it would save the time to open the 'open template' dialog, run thru all the templates (at the moment, our templates folder counts 535 of them) and locate the right one - with one click.