PDA

View Full Version : Flat ID Text and Jobname

gdavenport
10-24-2006, 06:05 PM
We've recently changed our workflow so that we send to a PS File out of Preps instead of sending to a printer. Our Flat Identifier Text marks include the variable $jobname. This works correctly when we send to a printer, but when we send to a PS File, this variable ends up printing the job name twice.

For example, a Preps job is called "6000_SP". If we send to a printer the Flat Identifier Text will say "6000_SP" (This is also how it previews in the Signature list). But if we sent to a PS file the Flat Identifier will say "6000_SP_6000_SP01A"

We are using Preps 5.2 in Mac OS 10.3 and when we print from Preps we use Divide Output by Side.

Thanks for any input.

-Greg

edwarde
10-24-2006, 06:23 PM
What if you just don't put the job name in ? You will only have it once.

gdavenport
10-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Are you thinking of $jobid? That's the one where you have to manually enter information in the Job Notes dialog box.

The $jobname variable should pick up the name of the Preps file. I want our text mark to automatically show the name of the Preps job.

What puzzles me is that--it previews correctly--and works fine when we print from Preps to a network printer. It's only when we output a PS file from Preps that the job name is duplicated...

tjaeger
10-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Gdavenport,

Try it one time WITHOUT Divide Output By Side clicked?

-TimJ

gdavenport
10-24-2006, 09:28 PM
It works if I leave Divide Output unchecked. That doesn't help me, though, because I want to use divided output so that my plate files will be named with the sig number and side.

roland.koreman
10-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Go the the Profiles folder and open the config file that you are using. Edit the line that reads: -SPLITFILENAME:{PrintID<19>} and remove {PrintID<19>}.
You will then not need to enter an ID and will not have the duplicated name.

gdavenport
10-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Deleting "{PrintID<19>}" from the config file does prevent the slug line from duplicating the job name. However, I would like the PS file from Preps to be named with the job name. When I remove "{PrintID<19>}" from the config file, "6000_SP01A" becomes just "01A". (in this example "6000" is the Preps job name).

Thanks for your reply. I feel bad for shooting down everyone's advice. What I'd really like to know is why our job naming scheme works when we print to a network printer, but not when we print to file.