PDA

View Full Version : Preps 5.2.2 updater

john.och
01-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I just used the updater to upgrade several copies of Preps....some from 5.2 and some from 5.2.1. The problem with the new upgrade is with our large plate templates. When we preview them, the top part of the plate doesn't show. Thought it might be a bug in the preview but the top part is also cropped off when brought into Prinergy. I tried doing a fresh install of 5.2.1 using the Migration tool to copy templates, etc...then using the 5.2.2 updater with no change of results. Have uninstalled the update for now.

Any thoughts?

John Och
Thomson/West

agiovanni
01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Were you able to resolve this issue? I was really hoping this update would cure some of out 5.2.1. troubles.

robinx
01-20-2007, 11:18 AM
i'll try that update next week, also hoping it will cure some crashing issues with v5.2.1... so stay in touch

john.och
01-22-2007, 01:50 PM
I put everything back to 5.2.1 as we need to use the large plate templates. I was hoping someone from Kodak would reply to this thread with a fix like they sometimes do with the Prinergy threads....

Everything else seemed to work OK with the upgrade. One of those fix somethings, break somethings type of upgrade.

robinx
01-24-2007, 08:07 AM
how "large" are those plates? we use templates as large as 72x102cm with no cropping problems previewing them.

our problem with 5.2.1 is occasional crashing, as with previewing or inserting pages in the run list, outputting pdf, and even the template editor crashed a few times while editing the template. 5.2.2 seems to be more stable than previous version but it still crashes from time to time, mostly on tasks with jobs, previewing, outputting and manipulating pages.

the third version we use, the 5.1.3, is rock stable but lacks some nifty features of 5.2.x ... so we all hope someone from Kodak reads this threads :)

edit: as most our crashings of 5.2.x versions appears while previewing pages or signatures, and as there is visible difference in previewing engines of preps 5.1.x and 5.2.x, i believe there is even bigger difference in the program code which could generate crashing error(s). here are screenshots of the same job (successfully) previewed in v5.1.3 (http://www.denona.hr/images/preps/PREPS513.jpg) and latest v5.2.2 (http://www.denona.hr/images/preps/PREPS522.jpg) build 400.

edit2: now, after some testing i'd like to note that new preps v5.2.2 has one more shiny new feature; it likes to crash at opening a job. randomly. one time it crashes, next time it opens a job successfully. all in all, last two win32 versions crashes so often that, to me, it looks like Kodak released pre-beta or alpha versions. :)

landon.voth
02-07-2007, 11:28 PM
John - Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This does seem to be a bug in that it is different behavior than before. From my tests, this only seems to happen in a PDF>PDF job with a device that has a punch set, and this device is smaller than the press sheet size. You probably receive a message stating that the device is smaller than your press sheet size. If you choose to continue, your output will be clipped to the device size (as you see in the preview).

So if this is the behavior you are seeing then the output is not wrong, but the preview is reflecting the clipping when rendered.

I will log this bug. Let me know if you are experiencing something different than i described.

robinx - We are aware that Preps is still crashing for some customers in specific scenarios. I assure you that if we have the steps to replicate these crashes, we stand a great chance to fix it and we do treat crashes as top priority. Anytime you or anyone else has a crash in Preps we invite you to log this crash with us through our website here:
http://graphics.kodak.com/global/product/workflow_data_storage/printing_solutions/production_planning/preps/preps_bug_report

Any bug that is submitted through this web page is sent directly to the Preps development team and is investigated with your help. Please be as detailed as possible.

Thanks for everyone's time, patience and help!

Landon

robinx
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
We are aware that Preps is still crashing for some customers in specific scenarios. I assure you that if we have the steps to replicate these crashes, we stand a great chance to fix it and we do treat crashes as top priority. Anytime you or anyone else has a crash in Preps we invite you to log this crash with us through our website.
Any bug that is submitted through this web page is sent directly to the Preps development team and is investigated with your help. Please be as detailed as possible.

great! i'll send a log next time preps 5.2.2 crashes. it's great to have a possibility to help developing better Preps :)

john.och
02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
The plate sizes with the issue are 30.5 x 43" and 56.125 x 45.15625.

I checked and I didn't have a problem using the Mixed files jobs..just the PDF>PDF as you mentioned. But we get no warning or message at all and the job plates/proofs cut off...not just previews. There is no punch setup involved either.

John

morsak
02-13-2007, 05:02 PM
I just used the updater to upgrade several copies of Preps....some from 5.2 and some from 5.2.1. The problem with the new upgrade is with our large plate templates. When we preview them, the top part of the plate doesn't show. Thought it might be a bug in the preview but the top part is also cropped off when brought into Prinergy. I tried doing a fresh install of 5.2.1 using the Migration tool to copy templates, etc...then using the 5.2.2 updater with no change of results. Have uninstalled the update for now.

Any thoughts?

John Och
Thomson/West

I successfully upgraded to 5.2.2 and didn't see that problem. Did you use the migration utility after you upgraded to 5.2.2. I found I had to do that in order for it to work properly

morsak
02-13-2007, 05:03 PM
I successfully upgraded to 5.2.2 and didn't see that problem. Did you use the migration utility after you upgraded to 5.2.2. I found I had to do that in order for it to work properly

john.och
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I used the migration utility as well. I did use the updater....I was wondering if Kodak has a clean install of the entire program that I might try instead of upgrading my 5.2 or 5.2.1. Again, it only is a problem on a couple of plate sizes when using PDF>PDF...but it's enough where we don't want too mess with it.

landon.voth
02-19-2007, 03:06 PM
John,

You can find the full installer of Preps 5.2.2 on our website here:
https://ecentral.creo.com/eCentral/Self_support/downloads_resultsn.asp?ProductName=preps&countryid=US

jrgraceffa
02-19-2007, 08:24 PM
We have just migrated to 5.2.2 from 5.2.1 previously 5.2, before that 5.1.5. Upgraded on multiple Macs. Since upgrading to the 5.2, and later we have had crash after crash when modifiying and saving templates. We did not experience anything like this in the 5.1 versions. Anyone else running into this problem? We keep hoping that the next upgrade will fix this but it hasn't. Save and Save often..... Yes I will open a call to the RC but thought I'd try this first. Going thru the did you restart your Mac routine is getting tiring.