PDA

View Full Version : Collation marks & pdf native

gdavenport
01-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi. Does anyone know if there is a way to use collation marks while working in pdf native mode?
I see that this question was asked before in 2005, but it remained unanswered.

Thanks for any help.

dnapier
01-31-2007, 03:13 PM
I may be missing something here, but collation marks used in my perfect bound native PDF workflow seem to work fine. The same templates I used when printing PS jobs.
Mac OS 10.4.8 Preps Version 5.2.2

gdavenport
01-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks for your response.

I looked a little closer and finally figured out what the problem was. We have old signature collation marks called "sigcolla","sigcollb", "sigcollc", etc. These are the ones we've always built our templates with, but it turns out they don't work in pdf native mode.

However, there is another set of collation marks called "Signature Collation Mark A", "Signature Collation Mark B", and "Signature Collation Mark C". It turns out that these marks do work in pdf native mode. We'll just start using these marks instead. I also found out that, with Preps 5, using the smart collation marks works in pdf native as well.

jminrod
02-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi I was wandering if you guys maybe able to give me a little more insight on what, why, and when you would use a collation mark. Are they just used for perfect bound projects or could or should I be using it for our saddle stiched booklets. We do run all of our books on a saddle binder. Any help or clearification would be greatly appreciated Thanks

sequoyah
02-05-2007, 03:14 AM
jminrod,

Collation marks are a visual aid for the bindery. Without them, the only way to ascertain that a gathered book has the sigs in the right order and that they are all included is to page through the book checking the page numbers.

But when they are used in a side gathered book such as a perfect bound one, just looking at the spine of the gathered sigs reveals at a glance that they are in order.

They can also be used with inserted signatures, such as for saddlestitching, but then they are placed at the top of the sigs such that they will trim off.

If you have a manual for Preps, there are illustrations of them in use.

Hope that helps,

Al Ferrari

tlotzer
03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
IMO that in a "PDF only" workflow, all marks must be PDF format rather than eps.

scottws
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for your response.
However, there is another set of collation marks called "Signature Collation Mark A", "Signature Collation Mark B", and "Signature Collation Mark C". It turns out that these marks do work in pdf native mode.

I don't see these marks. Where are they located?