PDA

View Full Version : Preps Collation Marks

morsak
02-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to place saddlestitch collation marks anywhere else besides on the head of page 1? We are currently using preps 5.2.1, looking to upgrade to 5.2.2.

demmons
02-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I was trying to do the same thing. The saddle collation mark can only be placed on the head. This is something that Kodak should change, considering many printers run the color bar in the center of the form. It would be nice to be able to attach it to the page on the lap.

I had a custom mark made that I could place on the lap. There is a former Preps developer in Washington (state) USA that creates custom EPS marks. He does great work, I have used him twice for custom collation marks. One for perfect bound that I needed colored on a per form basis. He also made me a saddle mark to place on lap. He will charge about $300+/- per mark. In my workflow it was worth it. I can put you in contact with him if you like.

Your other option is to create an image in Illustrator and place it manually. I know of some printers that have a template for a set trim size with an imposition for each form with the mark placed and stepping for each form.

pat_mcfadzen
04-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Any body have any new solutions/ideas for putting collation and/or identifier marks on the lap of a saddlestitch book?

mike1
04-27-2007, 01:23 AM
We put a text mark on the signature with just $SIG in it
and make it as big as needed.

Mike

acein
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
We also use the Flat ID Text static mark placed off the lap page. We just put in something like:
Form $[SIG] $[SN] $jobname $color $date

If we have multiple forms running on one press sheet we will add letters after the sig number (ex: $[SIG] A, $[SIG] B, etc.)

Don't know if that helps, but it's simple enough and relatively fast.

tlotzer
06-06-2007, 11:23 AM
1. What exactly is a lap page? Is it the lip that is pulled onto the saddlestitcher?
2. $300.00 per mark? I just open Illustrator, create what I want for a mark and save as eps (version 8). Then I copy it into the Preps Marks folder. I made a bunch of PMS colorbars 2 years ago and still use them today. We use JDF for our Ryobi jobs and had to reopen the eps marks and simply resave as pdfs.