PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Panther to Tiger

john.och
02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
In the past, I have always wiped the disk clean and did a fresh install of Tiger when upgrading from Panther. Then for some workstations, it could take as long as a day and a half to load all the software and configure everything. One of our local Mac support guys says he believes you can just upgrade the existing Panther machine to Tiger without starting from scratch using the Tiger install disk.

Other than upgrading a few older applications that don't run in Tiger, has anyone tried doing this?

Thanks,

John

kcoleman
02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
In-place upgrades do work, but I have personally had more luck with clean wipes less chance for system wonkiness (for lack of a better term). One other option would be to clone the existing HD to an external Firewire hard drive, then clean install Tiger on the Mac. During the initial startup in Tiger, the Migration Assistant will start and ask if you want to copy your stuff over from your old Mac. If you say yes, it will then instruct you to attach your old Mac to the new one via Firewire; at this time, attach the hard drive containing the cloned image and the Migration Assistant will copy over all of the settings/apps, as if you had the old Mac attached. All it's really looking for is Mac formatted drive, not really any hardware as it implies. This has, in my experience, worked fairly well. There may be an application or two that you'll need to either reinstall or reactivate (Quark 6.5/7 comes to mind), but it'll copy all of the user data, applications, preferences, etc. without problems.

Note that you can also use an external USB hard drive in this process, even though the Migration Assistant says you need to hook it up via firewire; USB works just fine.

I'd highly recommend Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) to clone your existing hard drive. Not only will it make it possible to use the Migration Assistant, but it'll also give you a backup in case things go awry or something is missed, etc.

One other thing: if, for whatever reason, you forget or whatever to let the Migration Assistant do its thing, it's a standalone app that can be run at any time, and is located in /Applications/Utilities.

zoranj
02-15-2007, 07:40 PM
I upgraded our 11 Mac's from Panther to Tiger without wiping and not a single issue.
I might have been lucky or the Apple does software right??

john.och
02-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks...I think I'll just try it on one and if I don't get too much "wonkiness" (tech term...I know!)....I'll do it on some more.

John

robert.hammen
03-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Most of our upgrades from 10.3 to 10.4 were of the "upgrade" variety.

We do keep a master image (well, two: one for PPC-based machines, the other for Intel-based machines) that we can clone over if we have an HD crash/the machine starts to do weird things.

We use Disk Utility to clone volumes... look at the "Restore" tab inside Disk Utility. Works great, no flakiness/intermittent inability of a cloned drive to boot (like we've seen with Carbon Copy Cloner and/or SuperDuper)...