View Full Version : Preps Colorbars

02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
We have made up some new Colorbars out of Illustrator CS and saved as an EPS. When Placed in a Preps Template the colorbars seem to look fuzzy or low resolution. Anyone has any ideas why or how to fix this issue?

02-19-2007, 07:29 PM
We have had this. We keep a version of Illustrator 10 around to do all of our Marks, Colorbars, etc... for Preps and Prinergy. Give it a try.

02-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Shouldn't be. We updated our color bars w/CS2 Ill and did not have this problem. Di you import the Mark into the Brisque or Prinergy system? I believe you have to do something to that sort.

02-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Randy,

I did receive your colorbar and screenshot through the support center. I'm not sure why your mark preview is so bad, but I can only guess it is because you have a linked file within the EPS. Because i didn't have this linked file, I extracted and then embedded it when resaving. When i resaved the mark from my CS2 to Illustrator 8, 10 or CS, i managed to get a better preview than your screen capture shows. There was no difference between those versions that i tested.

The Mac Preps Template Editor displays the mark's "preview" and does not render the mark, so the preview is only as good as the application that created it. The best preview format available in illustrator when saving an eps is the Macintosh (8-bit Color).

When you preview the signature in the job, the Previewer will actually render the mark for each zoom level. If the mark is a vector, each zoom level will render that vector accurately to 72dpi on screen.

Hope this helps.

02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I have had better previews after opening the Illustrator eps in Freehand MX and saving as eps. Give it a try.

02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Just to chime in...

We have the same problem. Any eps marks we create/modify with any Ill version higher than 10, do not show correctly in the Tamplate. It's been a while, but I think we also had issues with the output not being correct.

Michael Berry,
Evatone, Inc.

02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Adding to this. If you are using Prinergy and are creating "Variable Marks" in Illustrator, then Export out a pdf file to be used in a Process Plan, you must use Illustrator 10. Illustrator CS and CS2 do not give you the ability to Export out your pdf files EMBEDDING THE FONTS. You only get Font Subset options that do not process thru.

04-25-2007, 04:41 PM
I found that if I disable the "Include Document Thumbnails" option in the Save As EPS dialog box, it worked as expected.

I guess preps is using this ultra-low res thumbnail if it is there, but will generate a better one if it is not.

Hope this helps.