View Full Version : Compound marks command and tiff output

03-23-2007, 02:44 AM
I just upgraded to prinergy and now I am having problems with my taglines showing up when I output to an imposed tiff. I am using the new compound path feature from preps 5.2. They work great on everything but tiffs.

03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I was just about to post this same massage.

It works for VPS but not for the TIFF we send to the plotter. I haven't tried plates.

There are a few other problems also:

When it does work, it doesn't get rid of the last ].

It seems to expand the type to fit long things but it doesn't seem to shrink the type if the type it puts in is shorter than the variable name.

03-23-2007, 04:40 PM
The compound mark is not working for composite output, only separations. This has been fixed and will be in the next minor update.

I'm not sure what you mean by it doesn't seem to shrink the type If you mean that extra white space is placed between it and another mark - yes, we cannot prevent that. But that is why we designed this new kind of mark - so that all of the variables could be defined inside a single mark without the extra white space when the replacement text is only a few characters long. So, you should put all of the variables that you want to appear in a line without any gaps into a single compound mark.

03-26-2007, 03:04 PM
I was playing with these things a lot last week and got a little muddled about what was working and what wasn't.

The compound mark does seem to shrink or expand as needed. However, the new customizable date mark doesn't seem to work as part of the compound mark.

The other thing is that if, as part of the compound mark, you use a mark that is a different length on each plate, such as angle or color, all the text after it won't line up. The solution is to use only one such mark per compound mark and put it last in line. Kodak could fix this for screen angle by padding it to 3 digits, but there probably isn't much they can do about color.

The problem I noticed with marks not shrinking is apparently not with the compound mark but a change in the behavior of regular marks. It seems that the substituted text will never be closer together than the length of the original variable name. For example:
$[sig]$[SL], for signature and side
will display as:
1 A
with 4 spaces in between the 1 and the A
This is especially noticable with the customizable date mark.
I think this is different behavior from Prinergy 3.0.x. I think that is used to come out like 1A.