PDA

View Full Version : Font Utilities

jdlater
03-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Fonts have always been a mystery to me, but lately even more-so than ever.

For many years we have used Suitcase as our choice for font management. It has worked very well until we upgraded to Tiger. Now it seems that hardly any fonts will load properly, if at all. Many times we get errors saying that the fonts are corrupt and it won't load them, But they will load fine on a machine with 10.3.9.
Other times we get no messages what-so-ever and the fonts simply don't load.

We've tried loading the fonts directly into the Library/Fonts folder, but I don't believe you know if multiple fonts are conflicting our not when doing this.

Does anyone recommend a good solid way to load/manage fonts on a job by job basis?

Eric Biggins
03-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Take a look at Master Juggler. It is a font manager that is much more simplistic than some of the leading font management software. It works very well for us. It doesn't have a free demo which turns off a lot of people, however it is much cheaper than other managers at only $89.95 for a new copy.

Here is the link:
http://www.alsoft.com/MasterJuggler/index.html

Another thing with OSX, make sure you have your fonts cleaned up on your system. Also make sure you have a utility to clean the font cache, I recommend Onyx, which is a free download from Version Tracker and works very well.

Cheers,
Eric

john.stevens
03-23-2007, 05:00 PM
If you dont mind the built in Store.

Look at linotype FontExplorer

Its free and very iTunes like.
I moved all our Macs over to it from Suitcase.

peterk
03-23-2007, 08:17 PM
The only danger of Font Explorer is the auto-activation can be a problem with jobs if that's left on.

Master Juggler has worked well for a long time.

I've been using the user>library>fonts folder for almost every job that I do. I copy the customer fonts into a folder just named "Fonts" with the job on the server. I close out my apps and copy the fonts folder from the job into the library folder and then open the files. If I have to add fonts, then I quit out of everything. Fix the folder on the server, delete the local folder, copy the fonts back, and then open the files again.

Once in a great while Quark won't recognize the fonts and I have to reboot with them in the library folder. Then it seems to work fine.

I do also use Font Explorer at home with the auto-activation.

robert.hammen
03-24-2007, 02:18 AM
We had good luck with Suitcase Fusion 12.0 and 12.0.1. Ever since 12.1 was released (12.1.3 is current now), we ran into all kinds of errors/"corrupt" fonts which Fusion refused to load.

Extensis Product Management is clueless - I've had some "extensive" (pardon the pun) conversations with them, and they just don't seem to get it. They are focused on getting their Font Server app out by this fall.

Best product on the market right now is FontAgent Pro (http://www.fontagentpro.com/). They have a server version which actually works (unlike Suitcase, where you have to use their old server/X1 instead of Fusion - and X1 has issues under Tiger). I've recommended it to several clients. If Extensis doesn't fix Suitcase we'll be migrating (and I say this as someone who was a tester for the original version of Suitcase 20 years ago... *sigh* showing my age in this industry).

Here's an excellent, very thorough review/comparison of font managers (FontExplorer, Suitcase Fusion, and FontAgent Pro):

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/fontmanagers.ars/1

They don't call font "The other 4-letter F-word" for nothing...

jminrod
03-24-2007, 04:12 PM
We have been doing the same thing as PeterK, (using the Users fonts folder) for over a year now with no problems what so ever. We have similiar issues as Peter with Quark but no restarting, sometimes quark will tell you the fonts aren't loaded and if you open the document they are there sometimes you just have to close and reopen the document, and this is only quark.
What I am doing now is navigate to the USERS>LIBRARY>FONTS and grag aa copy into the left window pane. I then created a very small automator workflow which I then saved out as an application which also has a shortcut in the left window pane.
So we navigate to our new job on the server, Click on the app (Named Remove Fonts) in the left pane and it (within 2seconds) ,launches, deletes the fonts in the users folder, and quits. We then drag the new fonts onto the fonts folder which is realy copying them to the users fonts folder. Thats it, You drag a folder or seperate fonts it doesn't matter. I am not sure how to post pictures or I would post the snap shots of the automatro application. If you would like to try the app I can send you a pdf of how the automator is set up. My email is jminrod@yahoo.com

slivingston
03-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Take a look at Master Juggler. It is a font manager that is much more simplistic than some of the leading font management software. It works very well for us. It doesn't have a free demo which turns off a lot of people, however it is much cheaper than other managers at only $89.95 for a new copy.

Here is the link:
http://www.alsoft.com/MasterJuggler/index.html

Another thing with OSX, make sure you have your fonts cleaned up on your system. Also make sure you have a utility to clean the font cache, I recommend Onyx, which is a free download from Version Tracker and works very well.

Cheers,
Eric
How does MasterJuggler work with Classic? We don't use Classic much, but still have to.

peterk
03-28-2007, 12:23 PM
It originally came from "classic".
We used to use it all of the time and it still will work as long as your Mac supports classic mode (pre-Intel)

peterk
03-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I bet you can find an old copy that can be installed. They used to come on floppies.
I would check ebay. The classic function in the OS X version never seemed to work the best.
The other option would be is to copy the fonts into the OS 9 system folder.

dwyers
03-29-2007, 01:13 AM
There was a lot of talk about Font Agent Pro on prepress forums last year so i got a copy and it works very well and weeds out all corrupt fonts.

It gets my recommendation.

Dennis Wyers.

robert.hammen
03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
I just finished helping a local company migrate from Suitcase X1/Server X1 to FontAgent Pro/FontAgent Server. Unlike X1, which is seriously buggy on newer OSes, and unlike Fusion, which, besides having no Server version, is overly/too-picky on font activation, FAP just seems to work/be the most stable product. Highly, highly recommend taking a look at it. We'll probably migrate from Fusion when/after Leopard is released/we get Intel-based Mac Pro's in our Preflight and Prepress departments (later this year)...