PDA

View Full Version : Job Scheduling software - what do you use?

ssutton
04-11-2007, 08:48 PM
We are wanting to start using some kind of online scheduling software for our production departments and I was wondering what kind of programs you guys might already be using. At this time, I don't think we are looking for anything too elaborate - just something that would let use schedule blocks of time to a particular job. It should be available on the network so many users can access it. It would be nice if you could enter job specifications.

Anyway, if anyone has any input I wouldlove to hear it!

Thanks,
Steven

brett
04-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Do you use an MIS system?

ssutton
04-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Do you use an MIS system?

Since I don't know what a "MIS system" is, I would have to say no. :)

steven

robert.hammen
04-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Since I don't know what a "MIS system" is, I would have to say no. :)

Something like HagenOA, Logic, PSI, PrintSmith, ProGraph, et. al. Many of these systems have built-in scheduling.

We have HagenOA, but we're not using their electronic pressroom scheduling. I hate to admit it, but most everything is done the old-fashioned way: magnets on a blackboard. But, then again, we are an extremely flexible printing company, and jobs move around all over the board (based on customer file issues/deadlines/et. al.). Hagen's pressroom scheduling did not handle this well initially and we probably haven't revisited it. I think we may do some finishing scheduling electronically (fewer variables/moving around than the pressroom side)...

jamie.stotz
04-12-2007, 10:19 PM
For the press room and bindery, we use Hagen and a magnetic white board. For prepress, I wrote a Filemaker database that keeps track of jobs, what needs to be done to them, and their priority and progress. It doesn't actually let you assign blocks of time or schedule things based on how long they are expected to take.

FYI, MIS stands for Management Information System. Hagen and programs like it are designed to run the entire front office of a large printing company, from estimating to shipping. They have modules for all the different types of things it takes to run a printing company and cost thousands of dollars.

There are several smaller, cheaper programs available for small printing companies and design studios. If I remember any of them, I'll post again.

ssutton
04-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the posts....guys?. Can't be sure with a name like "rhilst1". Actually, I suppose "Jamie" could go either way as well. Anyway, thanks to both of you. It's nice to know that we aren't the only ones still using a chalkboard! Well, okay, it's a whiteboard but still.

I like the idea of a magnetic board for scheduling. I need to look around and see what I can find. I will also look into some of the software that was mentioned. And Jamie, if you do think of any of the cheaper programs please post them. I think that they may be just what we are looking for at this time.

Thanks again!
Steven

brett
04-14-2007, 02:32 AM
Something like HagenOA, Logic, PSI, PrintSmith, ProGraph, et. al. Many of these systems have built-in scheduling.

We have HagenOA, but we're not using their electronic pressroom scheduling. I hate to admit it, but most everything is done the old-fashioned way: magnets on a blackboard. But, then again, we are an extremely flexible printing company, and jobs move around all over the board (based on customer file issues/deadlines/et. al.). Hagen's pressroom scheduling did not handle this well initially and we probably haven't revisited it. I think we may do some finishing scheduling electronically (fewer variables/moving around than the pressroom side)...

Have you looked at PrintFlow? It's an Add-On to Hagen that lets you schedule... and build rules for how to automatically schedule... etc.
We're not using it yet, but it seems very nice.

http://www.efi.com/products/print-mis/efi-hagen/integrated-products/efi-printflow/