PDA

View Full Version : Crop marks change when combining signatures.

matmac
04-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Sheetwork layout with 2 different size pages. 6pp brochure is 210x445.2up. Postcard is 148x210 3up. The way that I would normally generate this kind of imposition is to create 1 signature for the 2up 6pp (See 1.Large page signature.pdf), then a separate signature for the A5 3up (See 2.Small page signature.pdf), then copy and paste the pages from 1 signature into the other.(See 3.Combined signatures.pdf)

Pages that are pasted into the composite signature always change to independant pages. The crop marks on the initial layout for the 3up pages is correct. (See 4.Initial crop marks.pdf). In the combined layout the crop marks are not offset 3mm from the page on the vertical. (See 5.Pasted pages crop marks.pdf)

Is there a simple way to fix this? or is there a better method for creating impositions with varying page sizes.

Regards,

Matt

PREPS Pro v.5.2.2
Mac OS: 10.3.9
Mac: G5 D2G PPC /2.5G/2x160

PS. *** FEATURE REQUEST ***
The ability to generate multiple signatures that can be combined then have smartmarks that apply to all the pages in the combined imposition NOT just the pages for the original signature. This would be VERY useful for creating impositions with differing page sizes. (Currently indepentant pages are ignored when smart marks are applied).

sequoyah
05-19-2007, 11:33 PM
What happens if you do not have crop marks on the small page signature before combining them, but add crop marks to those pages after the combining step?

matmac
05-21-2007, 11:36 AM
When the pages from the 2nd imposition are pasted into the first, they become independent pages. When the crop marks are applied to the imposition with both signature and independent pages, the independent are ignored.

sequoyah
05-22-2007, 05:40 PM
>When the crop marks are applied to the imposition with both signature and independent pages, the independent are ignored.

I am not able to reproduce the problem as described in the quote above. I get proper crop marks no mater if I select all pages or just the independent ones.

Preps 5.1.5 build 495, OS 10.3.9 Mac

Al Ferrari

matmac
05-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi Al,

Try changing the double cuts to single cuts. Do you get a overlap of trims? Or moving the 2nd set of pages within 6mm (example) of the other pages. You should find that the trims on the independent pages do not crop correctly with respect to the other pages.

* Tested using PREP 5.1.5.

Saulius
06-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Choose unwanted crop mark between pages with Alt-Click on it and Command+BackSpace (On Mac) or Alt-Click and Delete on (Windows)

matmac
07-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi Saulius,

Thanks for the tip.
With my layout I found that the Crop marks had to be selected 4 times. (Eg. 4 copies on top of each other).

The issue for me is 2 fold, when the 2nd imposition is added to the 1st and converts to independent pages:

1. The crops are no longer aware of the gutters of the first imposition and do not crop from the pages in the first impo.

2. Additional crops are introduced on the independent pages, indicating that the independant pages are not aware of each other either. Ie. Crops from the corner of one page appear on the edge of the page next to it.

What I'm really after is a feature that allows MULTIPLE impositions on the one sheet, Ee. Different size pages on each half, then be able to apply Smartmarks to each imposition or the sheet as a whole.

Maybe in PREPS 6.x