View Full Version : Preps

04-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey Guys,

First visit to this forum, so be gentle.

Wondering if anyone uses Preps outside of Prinergy? We are currently using Preps within our Prinergy system for 'Offset' work. We have a Digital department that is all pdf workflow, in other words, they plot from pdf files. They are currently using a plug-in within Acrobat, for imposition. Is there any way of using Preps to impose and ultimately...save-as, export, or print-to-file?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

04-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Preps does allow you to print a postscript file. The input files need to be postscript.
I don't know if you can print a postscript using placed pdfs.

04-12-2007, 11:50 PM
It depends on the source file.

Postscript > Print only to Postscript

Pdf > Print to Pdf or Postscript

To print a job to file as one file (Macintosh):
1.Open or create a job and apply a thumbnail layout or a template.
2.Save the job if it has not been saved before.
3.From the File menu, choose Print.
4.In the Print dialog box, in the Send to box, select PS File or PDF File (PDF File is available only for PDF-native jobs).
5.In the Device box, select the output device on which this file is eventually to be printed.
6.If you want to print the whole job to file, skip to step 7. If you want to print parts of the job to file, select the Specify Print Range check box, then specify which parts you want (see Specifying Print Range on page269).
7.If you have selected all the settings you want on all three tabs, click Print.Note: PDF-native jobs use only the General tab of the Print dialog box.

Excerpt taken from Page 247 of user guide.

04-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for you input!

04-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for your input!

06-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I send Preps made pdfs to our new Xerox 7000 which runs the Fiery RIP. Sometimes gradient drop out to white. Sometimes the background will go to white. I've tried to output pdf and ps. I can send a 1up pdf directly to the Fiery Rip an it process OK, but stripping it through a pdf>pdf workflow in Preps gives me bad pdfs.

Sometimes, I have to save the pdf as eps with simulate overprinting checked on, put it into a regular Preps workflow and output to PS.

On one page of a pdf, I made some text changes using Pitstop, that's the one where the background dropped to white in the pdf output from Preps, prior to the Fiery ripping process.

I haven't found out why there is such variable behavior yet. Any other work-arounds or fixes would be helpful