PDA

View Full Version : Issue with smart text marks on sectioned template

jamie.stotz
04-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I wanted to let everyone know about an issue that we had with smart marks. I'm not sure it is really a bug but it can cause problems.

You need:
Preps Pro which handles sectioned templates. (I'm using 5.2.2)
A smart text mark with a Preps or Prinergy variable in it, such as "$[Job].
A Prinergy system. (I'm using 3.1.0.5)

If you put a smart text mark on a template, there is a check box at the bottom of the smart mark setup dialog that says "Restrict to section:" and a field to fill in a number.

The default for this check box is unchecked, therefore the smart mark will appear on all sections. What this really means is that when you write the PS from the Preps job, that mark will be put on the template once for each section, all stacked up on top of each other.

When this PS goes into Prinergy and gets output as a proof or plates, the top most variable text gets substituted for the correct value. However, the copies below it are not substituted and they still have the actual variable names in them. The result is a mishmash of text that is mostly unreadable.

The same thing happens with smart custom marks (eps files) that contain variable text.

The solution is to make sure you check the "Restrict to section" check box and put a 1 in the text field.

I can't figure out what purpose it serves to have the mark print separately for each section if they are all going to be in the same location anyway. I think the default should be changed to have this checkbox on.

If you happen to have a bunch of these marks on a bunch of templates that all need to be changed you can do it very quickly as follows.

1. Download TextWrangler, the free text editor from barebones.com
2. COPY all the templates you want to change to a folder. Don't work on your only copies.
3. Launch TextWrangler and choose "Find" from the "Search" menu.
4. Select "Multi-file search" and choose the folder with the "Other" button.
5. In the find field enter "section :0" and in the replace field enter "section: 1"
6. Hit the "Replace all" button, and then choose "Save to disk", uncheck "Confirm Saves", and check "Save results"
7. It should make the changes for every smart mark in every file in the folder and give you a list of all the changes it made.

This method is very handy for changing other things in template files also.

emale
06-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks for that.
We have this problems since the adoption of prinergy and even no kodak engineer did know how to fix that.
Can't believe, that this is a known bug since 2007 and still unfixed two prinergy and one preps version later! Or is it a feature? :confused:

digital@sig-1.com
08-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I am also having this issue. I am using a custom color bar using rsi_coloralias. The problem is when I attempt to use your remedy, while it technically works, in my case the spot color name appears, but so too does the word rsi_coloralias, which is overprinted and unreadable. Any ideas?

emale
08-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Is "Restrict to section" activated?
I don't know why the hell this affects the interpretion of the smart marks, but we found out that smart marks, where "Restrict to section" is de-activated, won't be interpreted sometimes.
Even the selection "Anchor to" sometimes affects the interpretion whereby changing this setting will cause you to place the mark once again to the right location.

Mads
08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi Jamie

How about the Parameter _offset

I've used the this Parameter in our $[color] variable mark to introduce space into the printed information. For example, if you use $[color_offset], and your job contains Cyan, Magenta, and Black, you will see "Cyan Magenta Black" in their own colors. If you don't use _offset, "Cyan Magenta Black" would be printed on top of each other (in their own colors).

See if it works in your case.

Best regards

digital@sig-1.com
08-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Is "Restrict to section" activated?
I don't know why the hell this affects the interpretion of the smart marks, but we found out that smart marks, where "Restrict to section" is de-activated, won't be interpreted sometimes.
Even the selection "Anchor to" sometimes affects the interpretion whereby changing this setting will cause you to place the mark once again to the right location.

"Restrict to..." is active, but I have it anchored to "Press Sheet." I find it odd that this would make a difference, but then again, Preps 6 is so convoluted from 5, nothing is really a surprise anymore.

digital@sig-1.com
08-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi Jamie

How about the Parameter _offset

I've used the this Parameter in our $[color] variable mark to introduce space into the printed information. For example, if you use $[color_offset], and your job contains Cyan, Magenta, and Black, you will see "Cyan Magenta Black" in their own colors. If you don't use _offset, "Cyan Magenta Black" would be printed on top of each other (in their own colors).

See if it works in your case.

Best regards
Not sure, but have read on other forums that the "_offset" command is for Prinergy users. I am on Rampage.