PDA

View Full Version : Bottling

CLS
04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
We do a 80 page 5.5x8.5 book. The stock is only .003. The stitcher guy is telling me they need some bottling done so that when it gets trimmed the borders come out even. The way it is run is on a web that runs 16 page signatures. The individual signatures look to be ok and square when folded off of the web. Once the sigs are put together and then stitched and trimmed the borders are out of square.
If I explained that well enough my question is how do I figure out how much bottling to apply and how? There seems to be several options when applying bottling and I wanted to see if I could find out if there was a standard.

Thank you.
cs

jcannon
04-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Bottling and creep are two different things.

The way I would figure the bottling amount would be to take the bound book and measure how far out of square the border is out and then bottle it half that distance for example if the top of the border is out by 1/8", bottle that page from the bottom left corner 1/16" (you'll have to enter degrees so it's a trial and error type of thing but you can see and measure it in the Preps preview) which will move the top right hand corner back 1/16" while moving the bottom right hand corner out 1/16". If you bottle a page on the front it will automatically apply the bottling to the back page also.

d23w
04-30-2007, 10:03 PM
(you'll have to enter degrees so it's a trial and error type of thing but you can see and measure it in the Preps preview) which will move the top right hand corner back 1/16" while moving the bottom right hand corner out 1/16". If you bottle a page on the front it will automatically apply the bottling to the back page also.

We used to do a lot of manual bottling and we produced a test page with a border at the trim on a common page size. We bottled this by 1 degree, and you could then measure how far it moved the border. This measurement could be used to calculate how much bottling to apply to achieve a specific measurement, by dividing the two amounts, and then doing the same formula for the degrees. The page size doesn't really matter, beacuse the angle of bottling stays the same, while the distance achieved increases or decreases automatically with the page size.

The file we used is long gone.... but it didn't take long to create.

Dave O.