PDA

View Full Version : Automation In Prepress Department Group?

mjohnson
02-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I would love to have a place to share thoughts on new creative ways to add automation in the prepress environment. Not only in Prinergy but in any aspect of the department.

Matt Johnson

jminrod
02-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi mjohnson, I work as a preflight lead for a large company. Whe don't have access to files of our jacket because of security and the pc/mac platform. But from prinergy we add a folder automatically to our userdefined folder. In this folder is placed a pdf form that we add any important prepress issues our offsets for gap because of being web offset. I set the file up to have drop down menus of customer names and the csr or contact info. In turn all of this info gets archived with the whole job. We are also almost done with a digital job log using Filemaker pro that will, with limited user interaction, store proof in proof out, who proofed a job etc... I don't know if this is exactly what you were looking for. Hope it helps someone.

hostmaster
02-23-2006, 07:34 PM
We are also almost done with a digital job log using Filemaker pro that will, with limited user interaction, store proof in proof out, who proofed a job etc...

That sounds interresting. Since we´re using Filemaker in other areas, i like the idea of integration of Prinergy, Filemaker and perhaps Preps.
Are you using or parsing JDF-Files with Filemaker?

jminrod
02-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi hostmaster, as of now we do not do jdf but I am setting stuff and trying to prepair for it when we do go full jdf. My main problem is the MIS dept not giving us access to everything on th epc network end.

mjohnson
02-25-2006, 05:01 PM
jminrod, great idea to track special information about each job. Does anyone know if it is possible to not only make the folder in the user defined, but also automatically put a file in it when creating the Prinergy job? This has been on my mind for some time now (how to track special changes) thanks for the tip.

jminrod
02-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Hi Matt, I do know some scripting but from the server end you need someone to write you what is called a batch process. Unless you have a hot folder license. But I just noticed 2 days ago we now have access to make folders in the job themselves. Such as when we send a VPS it makes a folder at the job level named VPS and puts our VPS files in there and they stay with the job. I now set up our composite pdfs to what ever we want it named and also we send a tif file to our mail house for soft proofing of the variable text. But we had to go in and re-name
all of our tif files now, and our VPS files wouldn't come out with enough info for us to distinguish between lots because we couldn't change the name. But since we have that access we can send all lots vps at once. Hope it helps

aoswood
03-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Hello All,

We have a digtial Prinergy sheet we have created in Acrobat. It has editible form fields. This contains information critcal for each job. With Rules Based Automation we have set it up when a new job is created it automatically copies the Prinergy sheet into the user defined folder. When we have changes to the Prinergy info sheet all we have to do is change the original and it will be copied in any new jobs.

Andy

Andrew Oswood
Japs-Olson Company
St. Louis Park, MN 55426