PDA

View Full Version : Template Organization

mrhooper
06-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I am just curious how others keep their templates organized. Right now I have a seperate template for each sheet size we use. Within these are the various configurations of page sizes and work style, etc. Problem is with all the variations the number of signatures is large and sometimes makes finding the right signature a chore. There is no way to sort signatures within a template. Any suggestions would be apreciated. Im sure someone has a better way.

thanks.

edwarde
06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
We have about 3 thousand templates for 6 different size presses. We first separate the sheetfed from the webs by just putting them in separate folders. We then name the templates specific. Example:
For the sheetfeds we name the templates...

Page size, chip, gutter, sheetsize and style.

8.5x11_.25g_25x38wt

ss=single sided
sw=sheetwise
wt=work and turn
t=tumble

For the webs...very similar.
same except we put the pinfeed info on the name also.

Hope this helps

One more note...if you stay strict with your naming convention, your files will always pull up alphabetically, making them easy to find.

Ed

lee
06-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I recently went through my templates and totally changed the way I store them.

Unlike most people I organize by finished piece size, not the press sheet size or number up.

I have numerous folders with the following hierarchy this is an example of where the templates for 8-1/2 x 11 sheets are stored:

Flat Work
->....
-->07 Inches
-->08 Inches
--->Landscape
--->Portrait
---->8-1/2 x 11 Sht Prt (template file)
---->8-3/4 x 23-5/16 Sht Prt (template file)
-->09 Inches
->...

This structure is replicated for each type, Saddle, Perfect, etc.

The size is based upon the integer of the smallest dimension of the finished piece then it is either portrait or landscape depending upon orientation. I do this because I can often use a portrait template for a landscape or vice versa by simply rotating the pages. To find a particular template I go down the hierarchy until I find what I need. If I don't find exactly what I need I usually find one that is close in size, copy it and make a new one with the correct dimensions.

Within each template I only concern myself with naming the signatures with the imposition i.e. 4 up W&T 19x25. This way the template names only need to contain the finished size/orientation and the signature names only need the number up/sheet size.

I have been very pleased with this system and can easily find particular templates. I also have some catch all folders for the real oddballs that contain multiple sizes on the same press sheet, etc.

matmac
06-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Similar to edwarde - we use a coded system:

(pages per flat) (size) (head direction) (binding style)

Some examples:

4pp HH PB - 4 pages to view per side - head to head - perfect bound.
(where the most common pages size is used, A4 (metric) in our case, we don't include the size).

4pp HH SS - same as above only Saddle-Stitch

4pp HH FW - flat work (no binding)

4pp 210x275 HH SS - differing page size

8pp A5 HH SS - Half sheet layout only with 8pp @ A5.

32pp 90x55 HF FW - Business Card temple, 32up, Head to Foot.

Each template could include signatures for:
4pp W&T, 8pp Section Sheetwork, 8pp Section Perf.
Then there are variations for the colourbar requirement. Mono, 2col, 4col etc. This means for any given job all of the signatures are derived from one template. (Ie. Sheetwork + W&T + Perf)

Most of our templates work to one of 2 common half sheet size presses.

On top of all of the standard templates, we have a sub folder for client specific templates and a sub folder for job specific templates. If templates are specific to a client then the go in the client folder under another folder for that client, same with job specific templates - saved under the job no. This reduces the clutter template listing and makes finding client specific templates easier. We have ~500 templates.

mrhooper
06-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks all for the tips. I have started renaming all the templates and signatures. I should be done by 2012.

lee
06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
2012! Be sure you have it done by December 21st, in time for the end of the world.