PDA

View Full Version : MM barcodes using Preps 5.2

jollyrancher521
06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Here is the answer to my own question below: Since Preps 4.2.3, Preps will autocalculate the PS_Max_sig number without the requirement to enter it in the Job Notes of a job. Unfortunately, it does not calculate the number correctly for muliple section (delivery) signatures. So even if you ad the ps_max_sig in the Job notes, Preps will override that with it's own count. This is a Preps bug and hopefully will be fixed in the future.

We have been using MM barcodes (128C) on our book signatures for some time now. Ever since we upgraded to Preps 5.2, however, Preps apparently does not properly tag which barcode belongs to the last signature on "come and go" jobs. As a result, the Mueller Martini ASIR3 system cannot detect which is the last signature. This problem did not exist with our previous version of Preps 4.2. Perhaps this is a bug. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Jason Riech
Prepress Manager
Watchtower

john.sands@rrd.com
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
This problem is still a bug in Preps 5.3.3, and using sections still produces a ps_max_sig value that stores the maximum signature, not the maximum sections. We also use Mueller Martini barcode collators. Since we are about to switch to using sections, or were until this problem was discovered, has the issue been addressed in Preps 6? MM barcodes require that the maximum signature (or section) must be known in the ps_max_sig variable. When using sections, Preps should define this variable using the maximum section number, not signature number.

By the way, Preps terminology is screwy.

Section really means signature
Signature really means press form.

dalew
11-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Speaking of bindry codes..... I like to put this thread back on the table. Multi section templates are great, but they dont do us a lot of good if Preps / Prinergy cant get the MM codes or any Sig variable right on the second or last section. Any help or movement forward on this would be greatly appreciated.

tapin2
11-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Heads up! We are working on a solution. It will involve a new MM mark, some slight adjustments to the use of Preps. Testing next week; with documentation to follow. I will post the new info via this thread as well as on eCentral.

Cheers, Patrick