View Full Version : Bring to the Front?

06-15-2007, 04:44 PM
I find it very difficult in Preps 5 to determine if a placed mark is actually on the upper most layer. It appears to be on screen and it has Bring to Front has been selected, yet after I import the PJTF into Prinergy and run a VPS
the mark isn't actually in Front. The RC reply is, " it all based on the sequence that the marks were placed on the imposition. I think the interface is lame considering the cost to purchase. Why doesn't it have a layers palette? This would help determine what is actually on the upper most layer.
Any insight from other users to this issue would be appreciated.

06-15-2007, 06:09 PM
We have had success copying and pasting the mark that you want on the top layer (although Preps doesn't reall have layers). Once it is copied on top of itself, it usually shows on the VPS as being the 'top' mark.

(but I agree that it is a bit lame for the software that claims to be the leader in imposition software)

Dave O'Neill.

06-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Our experience is the same and our solution is the same - sometimes it works, sometimes not. One would think that any "mark" would be defaulted to overprint/overlay everything else, or at least give the operator that level of control. Perhaps in the next version release.

06-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I think it is a very bad idea for Preps to have layers.

06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't think it needs layers the way Illustrator has, but I think it should have some simple predefined layers.

Marks top A
Marks top B
Marks bottom A
Marks bottom B

This would let us choose to have specific marks above or below the page content, and the A and B would let us have some marks on top of others.

06-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Layers or not, there should be some way to consistently control the stacking order of the marks.

07-11-2007, 04:50 AM
>Layers or not, there should be some way to consistently control the stacking order of the marks.

If you open a Preps template file in BBEdit or TextWrangler, you will see that the press sheet marks are together in a particular section, in a particular order. Note the order and note which mark is listed first, and close the template file.

Now open the template in the Preps Template Editor, select that mark, cut/paste, save template.

Open the template file again in BBEdit or TextWrangler, locate the mark, and notice that it is now at the end of the list of marks for that signature. The paste from the cut/paste sequence has done that. The mark will image last, i.e. at the top of the stack of marks on that signature.

So, in the Preps Template Editor, cut/paste is the equivalet of "bring to front".

Al Ferrari

07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
We have all of our marks as smart marks. They are also grouped for SW WT Wtumble. So you can select delete all smart marks and place them again and that puts them on top. The smart marks groups work great for alot of issues.