PDA

View Full Version : Printed in Canada

jakef
06-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Here is an unusual issue and it relates only to Canadian printers. As a Canadian printer, we export a lot of books to the States. It is a requirement for us to then make sure that we have the statement Printed in Canada, usually on the copyright page, printed inside the book. If we don't, the shipment gets stopped at US Customs.

Regulations have been changing lately and this is becoming more stringent and they are adding more variables. The end result being that we need to scan our PDF files before printing looking for US city or state names. We would like to do this programmatically so that it is automated but it is a daunting task.

Do other Canadian printers deal with this? Has anyone found a way to automate this programatically? Any feedback would be appreciated.

wendytf
06-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Jake

What do you have to do if you find U.S. names? We print concert books all the time. They say Printed in Canada, but often list U.S. venues for the concerts.

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious about the regulations you're talking about.

jakef
06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Jake

What do you have to do if you find U.S. names? We print concert books all the time. They say Printed in Canada, but often list U.S. venues for the concerts.

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious about the regulations you're talking about.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't know all the details as I am a sys admin and not management but here is what I know.

We have always had to have Printed in Canada in any book we ship south. Usually adding this to the copyright page and making sure there is not other "Printed in" anywhere was all we needed. Now we have also been told that if there is a reference to an American city or state in the authors bio, copyright page, publisher info, etc., there needs to be a Printed In Canada in the same size font and style in the immediate area. There is also talk that this may soon apply to covers and dustjackets or any other exterior covering.

So we are looking at ways of searching certain page ranges for American city or state names and have it flagged so we can check whether we are in compliance. We are also curious how other Canadian printers are dealing with this. Are we the only ones?

pbl
08-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Why not create an AppleScript that will reference a table of all American States and any text that begins with Printed in ? Run this script on a single file PDF that contains all the pages (Publish to PDF). A reference table of American cities would be to vast. Let me know if you need such a script for Acrobat.

Norm Hagman
Pollard Banknote Ltd.

jakef
09-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Why not create an AppleScript that will reference a table of all American States and any text that begins with Printed in ? Run this script on a single file PDF that contains all the pages (Publish to PDF). A reference table of American cities would be to vast. Let me know if you need such a script for Acrobat.

Norm Hagman
Pollard Banknote Ltd.

We already have an app created by our developers but we are finding it difficult to programatically account for all the different scenarios. I was posting only to find out if this is something that everyone deals with or only us. Surely if what our local customs people are telling us is true, this should be an issue with all Canadian printers. I am getting the sense that not many have this problem.