PDA

View Full Version : Target Device Smaller Error

gleaman
06-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I just updated to Mac Preps 5.2.2 and I get this error when printing.

I am looking for the document on how to turn this error off. Can anyone help?

Error:
The media size of the Target Device is Smaller than the press sheet size.

prepress
02-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I have recently had a similar problem. I just updated to 5.3 and I'm getting the same error. "The media size of the targeted device is smaller than the press sheet size of one or more signatures." There are two other people in the office running Preps 5.2 and I'm using their templates and printers. Is there a version compatibility issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Vincent
Bay State Envelope
Mansfield, MA

digital@sig-1.com
02-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Simple explaination, difficult resolve. It has to do with your device. The device specs must be larger than the template size. Let's say you have a Komori press device set up and an Epson 4000 proofer device setup. The Epson has a max sheet size of 15.5" high by 100' long. The Komori has a max of 26.5" wide by 20" high. Each is defined in Preps and saved as a device. When you make plates you select the Komori device and when you make proofs you select the Epson. If your template in Preps is set larger than 15.5", and you select the Epson device, the error message will pop-up. If you have a setup like we do here where the proofer is capable of running sheet size (we have an Epson 10600 that can go up to 44", more than enough for our Komori plate size), then once you define the Komori device, quit Preps. Go to (for a Macintosh) Hard Drive/Applications/Preps/Profiles and make a copy of the Default.cfg file and put it someplace safe. Make a duplicate of (for example) the Komori.cfg file, rename it Default.cfg and place it in the Default folder. Restart Preps. If you need to use the other device, then make sure your template is smaller in size than the max defined for that device.
________
C77 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_C77)

prepress
02-28-2008, 03:52 PM
We have a Magnus 400. That is the only machine that we use and only make plates on it, no proofing or anything. There are 4 different size plates that we use. The other 2 workstations have Preps 5.2 and have no problems with their versions so they tried to give me the files I would need such as .ppd files and .ppx files and .cfg files. Some of them are on my hard drive and some of them are on the company server so that we can all use them. The files that are working for them are not working for me which is why I was wondering if it was because I have a newer version. We don't have a .cfg file for the Magnus, only the default.cfg, Chinese.cfg, Japanese.cfg, and PrepsPrinergy.cfg. I tried what you said to do with the PrepsPrinergy.cfg file but no luck with that. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

David Vincent
Bay State Envelope
Mansfield, MA

digital@sig-1.com
02-28-2008, 04:11 PM
It sounds, and unfortunately I am not a Preps expert, but it sounds to me like the .cfg you are using is incorrect. If you run 4 different plate sizes, you should have those 4 sizes configured in Preps and saved as a .cfg. Here's something to try just for a lark...

In Preps, go to Device Setup. Select Magnus 400 (or whatever it is named) and click Device Configuration. Where it says Page Size, see if a page size is defined for each of your four plate sizes. If there's not, I think they will have to be created.

This gets complicated. If you are starting from scratch, you will need to know or determine your plate setback, which in Preps is called Punch coordinates. If your platemaker has been setup for a while, and it's imaging properly, don't mess with these numbers - it will only screw things up.

Once you have all your page sizes set up, save your new configuration. It will go into that location with the .cfg file I mentioned in my first post. Then do what I described earlier about making it the default (this way you won't have to select it each time you launch Preps on this machine).

I only have experience with Preps running a single size plate, so I think it works like this: Once you have it all set up as default, when you strip your template and are ready to image the plate, you will need to go in to this location and select the appropriate plate size prior to imaging. As long as your template is smaller than the plate size selected, you should not get the error.
________
full melt hash (http://trichomes.org/hashish/full-melt-hash)

prepress
02-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Page sizes are already there. We use 4 plates as I said before. We have a 3", a 6", a 4color, and an XL. Under page sizes I have those 4 options. Where those were defined I'm not sure, but they're there. And the punch specs are already in there and are the same as the other two guys are using with their Preps 5.2.

digital@sig-1.com
02-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Ok - well make certain that the 4 plate sizes defined in the Device Configuration correspond to the 4 plate sizes you run through your Magnus 400, and make sure that the template stripped and being run is smaller than the selected plate size - should be no problem!
________
Honda CB750K (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CB750K)

jcannon
02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
I just updated to Mac Preps 5.2.2 and I get this error when printing.

I am looking for the document on how to turn this error off. Can anyone help?

Error:
The media size of the Target Device is Smaller than the press sheet size.

We have 4 presses with 4 different plate sizes. We make our templates the exact size that our plates are and we define a custom size for each device to match the plate/template size. Two of the devices print without this error and the other two give this error. Have not be able to figure it out but if we click the button to go ahead and print they come out fine. Kind of a pain to get this error everytime we print to these two devices but they do work fine.

digital@sig-1.com
02-28-2008, 06:28 PM
This error comes up because the postscript info being written to plate/file is larger than the imageable area. If it is set to "tile" then it will actually overlap itself and overwrite itself and you get a funny black rectangle in the middle of your work. If it is not set to "tile" than it will actually crop information off the edges.
________
KR350 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_KR350)

jcannon
02-29-2008, 07:08 PM
This error comes up because the postscript info being written to plate/file is larger than the imageable area. If it is set to "tile" then it will actually overlap itself and overwrite itself and you get a funny black rectangle in the middle of your work. If it is not set to "tile" than it will actually crop information off the edges.

Except it's not bigger in my case. It's the exact same size. Works okay on all 4 devices. Just give the error on 2 of them.

digital@sig-1.com
02-29-2008, 07:17 PM
It could just be an erroneous error. When I learned Preps many, many years ago I was originally taught to strip to the run sheet size and not the plate size, so I learned how to dial in set back, punch, etc. to make each sheet size fit properly on the plate. I can't imagine what issues striping to plate size might cause, but it sounds like that error is one of them.
________
iolite vaporizer review (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

jcannon
03-01-2008, 06:52 AM
We are mainly web presses. The problem we have with using the sheet size is that the majority of our jobs use the whole sheet. By that I mean they come off the press at finished size. If we put marks inside the sheet size they would be in the finished product. By making the templates to plate size we have room outside the sheet size for our marks so we'll have those marks on the plate but outside the print area.

sequoyah
03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
>By making the templates to plate size we have room outside the sheet size for our marks so we'll have those marks on the plate but outside the print area.

This is confusing for a sheet printer. Do you mean you have your marks printing off the sheet (web) and on to the back cylinder? If so, what use are these marks to you?

Al

jcannon
03-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes that is correct...they are off the sheet (web). These marks are only used by our plate people when checking the plate making sure everything is the correct size and spaced correctly.

digital@sig-1.com
03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I would imagine this would get ink on the drum/cylinder and cause offset. I used to make some templates for a web, but not to finished size; we would put indicator marks in the gutters for electronic registration - the Harris web would scan for this mark to ensure proper positioning.
________
Cooking Help (http://www.cooking-chef.com/)

jcannon
03-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I would imagine this would get ink on the drum/cylinder and cause offset.

Nope. It doesn't. At least it isn't a problem if it is. If it were the pressmen would be complaining loudly.

I used to make some templates for a web, but not to finished size; we would put indicator marks in the gutters for electronic registration - the Harris web would scan for this mark to ensure proper positioning.

We put those marks in the middle of the plate between signatures. They end up on the printed sheet. On a page in the middle of the paper at the head of the page. Like I say, there is no paper waste. We use every last bit of it.

prepress
03-07-2008, 05:25 PM
So we tried deleting the Preps 5.3 and loading the 5.2 that the other 2 guys have and it works now for me no problem...so there had to be some kind of compatibility issue with the new version and what we already had going on.

digital@sig-1.com
03-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Are you on a PowerPC mac or one of the new Intel Macs?
________
Harley-Davidson FLSTS (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_FLSTS)

vinnyfalcone
03-07-2008, 07:13 PM
If you're running Prinergy, you don't have to define a media/plate size. You will use "Press Sheet Size" on output from Preps. You can then define a setback specific to your press in Prinergy template. This allows you to run the same imposition for multiple presses.

If you're using Preps directly to your device, create your custom media/plate sizes, define a separate device for each of those sizes, and select that device/plate size when you print from Preps. You might have to update the Preps template to "Select at print time" or the specific device/media/plate size in target device to overcome this error.

digital@sig-1.com
03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
If you're running Prinergy, you don't have to define a media/plate size. You will use "Press Sheet Size" on output from Preps. You can then define a setback specific to your press in Prinergy template.

This is true with Rampage, the old Scitex system, etc. BUT you have to know the plate setback and set up your math perfectly for proper positioning and proper gripper margins.
________
herbal health (http://herbalhealthshop.com)