View Full Version : Floating licence on preps Pro issues with Preps and OSX

07-06-2007, 07:39 AM
We have an issue here that is driving us crazy - On two OSX machines the only way we can use the preps floating licence is under the User Admin, We have installed Prinergy as the User, we have delete the User in OSX and recreated and then re-installed Prinergy as the User same problem. We have two other OSX machines works no trouble as the User - can't seem to get to the bottom of this can somebody help.

When logged on as the User and you go start imposition application you get the following error: Unable to create Preps launching property file (1201006).

08-16-2007, 02:15 PM
How does floating license work? Don't you need to have a dongle?

08-16-2007, 05:42 PM
The floating license thing works like this. You have a "preps key" installed in your prinergy primary. Itís tied into your license key for prinergy. You have "X" amount of copies that can be running at one time. When a Mac or PC asks to start preps, it first searched out for a primary server to see if there are available unused licenses. If yes then it starts, if not it will not allow you to launch preps without someone shutting down their copy first. We have used it at out plant for 2 years and its pretty solid. We have 6 users and its slick to be able to install preps on every machine and run it as needed without worrying about a dongle. - tc

08-16-2007, 11:42 PM
I have noticed that when we copy a new Preps folder to our Mac OS X Applications folder, the Preps folder has some permissions settings that restrict use to the owner that copied the file. When a different user logs into the workstation, they do not have access to the Preps folder. (I am not sure if Kodak has done this for a specific reason or if it is an oversight).

In any case, it sounds like you may be having the same problem. When I copy an new Preps folder to the local Applications folder, I must change the permissions of the Preps folder in the "Get Info..." window to make it useable in our multi-user environment.

If this sounds like your situation, then this might fix the problem:

When you copy the folder it will likely have the "Owner" set to the name of the user that copied it, and the "Access" will be "Read and Write" which should be fine. The Group setting is where the problem is. We need to set "Group" to a common user group (like staff), change "Access" to "Read and Write", and then click the "Apply to enclosed items..." button. You will need to enter an admin user and password and then it will copy the correct permissions to all the files and folders inside your Preps folder.

Now, when a different user logs in to the workstation, they should have access to the folder.

Hope this helps.

08-21-2007, 12:23 PM
I am getting the same issue, but on windows machines. I am currently fighting with permissions on each machine, but seems that even if i give it admin rights it does not work on some accounts.
tclifford, are you saying that you have installed a copy of preps on each machine or do you mean the one that Prinergy installs?

08-30-2007, 11:06 PM
I think what the original poster is trying to say is that, in order to run the floating license version of Preps Pro on the Mac, the currently-logged-in user must be an administrative user (i.e. in the Accounts system preference pane, the "Allow user to administer this computer" checkbox needs to be selected).

For security reasons we've changed most of our OS X users to non-admin users (with a single "administrator" account with admin privileges on each machine, and its password long, strong and kept from most everyone). I tested this on our prepress workstations and ran into the same issue as the original poster - changed the account back to have administrative privileges and it started working again.

Kodak, please consider this a feature request to allow non-administrative OS X users to be able to use the floating license version of Preps Pro...