PDA

View Full Version : Color Names Mark

Lening99
07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
We use Prinergy Connect and Preps. Our workflow consists of 40 inch plates with many spot colors. Our production manager insists that the color names print on the press sheet. The "$color" mark causes the color names to print on top of each other. Is there a mark that will print the colors in a row?

rob.morgan
07-09-2007, 07:13 PM
If you have Prinergy 3.1.0.3 and up, you can use the Prinergy variable mark $[color_offset] to print the colors in a row.

Cheers,
Rob

Lening99
07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks Rob. That was a mark we did not know. We've added it to our smark marks folders and it works great.

sequoyah
08-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Attached is a hand coded eps mark that I cobbled together with Ray Johnson's help back in 2001, in the ScenicSoft newsgroup. Remove the ".txt" extension and place in the Preps marks folder.

The mark solves the problem of the color names overprinting each other, and handles CMYK plus 3 spots. With a little work it can be made to handle a larger number of colors. As written the mark assumes the names of the spot colors will be either PANTONE, Pantone, or pantone, and trimms the CV or cv tags from the color name to save space. It also contains the infrastructure (disabled code) to handle other color systems such as ANPA, DIC, FOLCOTONE, Munsell, TOYO, and TRUEMATCH.

The mark works by making use of the SSiCustom colors 1, 2, and 3. In the Separations dialog you map the SSiCustom colors to the job spot colors in the usual way. It can be tested by placing on a template signature and then previewing the saved signature in the Preps previewer with color a page(s) in the run list.

Post back if you find the mark useful.

Al Ferrari

Edit: The mark was intended to work in a Preps stand alone installation. I don't know if it fouls up in a workflow system.

phibbsgraphics
08-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Normally, I output a Composite .PS file from Preps, to be processed in PS/M ...where I map the custom colours, and then fix my makeshift custom marks in Presstouch. I can see how this would be a usable alternative though.

I tried it out, choosing to map the colours and output Separations from Preps, then ripping in PS/M, using the "Merge" feature. SUCCESS! My .job file from PS/M has all the correct colours, and my .tiff file output via the "Combine" feature (which we need for our Largo proofs) has the correct colour labels.

I'm thinking I may eventually switch all my spot colour templates over to this mark. Thanks for that Al!
EDIT: With some additional testing of course ;)

Chris

sequoyah
08-14-2007, 04:21 AM
Chris,

I am glad it worked for you. But since I am mostly used to host separations, either from Preps or from the layout application, I am not sure if you are reporting that it worked in an InRIP separation scenario. Can you fill me in please?

Al