PDA

View Full Version : Removing "Side Guides" by default

k_unverzagt
08-07-2007, 03:36 AM
We never want "Side Guides" on our templates. Is there any way to change the default posiiton to "None"? Can't find anything in the .cfg file to change except the amount.
Thanx,

sequoyah
08-07-2007, 05:09 AM
The code for what, if anything gets gets imaged as side guides is in postscript and is contained in the prepc.ps procset file in the procsets folder in the Preps folder. So if you know a little postscript, you can alter that code so that nothing gets imaged regardless of the selection in that pupup list or the distance specified in that dialog.

Open the prepc.ps procset file in a text editor such as BBEdit, and find the line:

/pwm_large_sideguide % r x y pwm_large_sideguide -

at approximately line 220. That line is followed by the definition of the large side guide (the one on the right). It starts with "{ p_save" and after many lines, ends with "} bdef". Near the begnning of that definition, find the lines:

0 setseparationgray
.25 setlinewidth

The "0" specifies that the lines be imaged in black. So changing that to "1" will color them white. If the .25 is changed to "0", the lines will have no thickness.

So either of these changes will make the large sideguide dissapear! Edit: correction-the 0 line thickness idea does not work, but coloring the lines white does work. My apologies.

Do the same in the definition for the small side guide following the line:

/pwm_small_sideguide % r x y pwm_small_sideguide -

Save the file and test it by previewing any signature in the previewer.

A word of caution: Don't try this at home! Of course you should make a copy of the prepc.ps procset file before doing any of this. That way you can always replace it.

Note that with each upgrade to Preps, a new prepc.ps procset file will be installed, and you will have to do the same to the new one.

Please report back how you made out with this.

Good luck,

Al Ferrari

k_unverzagt
08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Al,
Thank you so much. I will try this today.
Karen Unverzagt

sequoyah
08-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Karen,

I neglected to ask why you do not want the Preps side guide. Is it because you dislike that one in particular and wish to use your own?

If that's the case, the code I referred to can be modified to produce the sideguide you want. That is what I have done for my Preps and that is why I know about that code.

Al Ferrari

zoranj
08-08-2007, 01:50 AM
This is very good tip.
Sequoyah (Al), is there a guide of some sort for these modifications?

I am curious if I can edit default side guides to appear in one colour only (Black or spot) and on one side only (Operator side).
Bonus would be to be able to do only the gear side, if desired.

Right now I am using smart marks to achieve the same effect, but default setup would make it even easier and would cut couple steps from the process.

Thanks

Z

sequoyah
08-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Zoranj,

I am not aware of any guide for these sorts of modifications. I learned these back when ScenicSoft was an independent company and hosted a newsgroup much more active than this one. That was when Ray Johnson was the postscript expert for Preps, and his participation in the newsgroup made it lively. I learned many things from him.

You can learn a little postscript by trying to solve some problems such as this sideguide one, and looking up things in the "Red Book." One way to start learning postscript is to open the file for any of the Preps eps marks in BBEdit or TextWrangler, and try to figure out how they function. Then try a small modification on one of them and see how it images differently in your templates. I helps to have done a little programing in another computer language.

Disabling one of the sideguides is easy if you study the code I referred to in the earlier post. The spot color idea may be trickier. Note that there are some eps marks in the Preps Marks folder that respond to the colors being printed. One such mark is "k+5spotcolorbar.eps" found in the dupmarks folder inside the Marks folder. This is one of Ray's more sophisticated marks, but try to figure how it responds to spot colors. You will need that information to modify your sideguide.

That should give you a start.

Al Ferrari

Edit: Please note that I have made a correction to my earlier post to the effect that trying to disable the sideguide by giving the lines a thickness of "0" does not work. But setting them to white does indeed work.

sequoyah
08-08-2007, 06:54 AM
As I mentioned in #4, I have my sideguides modified, and when I wrote #2, I could not find the saved copy of the original code that ships with Preps. That is why I did not quote it. Now I have found it:

/pwm_large_sideguide % r x y pwm_large_sideguide -
{ p_save
translate rotate
0 setseparationgray
.25 setlinewidth
newpath
0 -72 moveto
0 70 rlineto
-9 2 rmoveto
18 0 rlineto
-9 2 rmoveto
0 96 rlineto
0 -96 rmoveto
-0.25 96 rlineto
0.25 -96 rmoveto
0.25 96 rlineto
stroke
p_restore
} bdef

/pwm_small_sideguide % r x y pwm_small_sideguide -
{ p_save
translate
rotate
0 setseparationgray
.25 setlinewidth
newpath
0 -36 moveto
0 34 rlineto
-9 2 rmoveto
18 0 rlineto
-9 2 rmoveto
0 48 rlineto
0 -48 rmoveto
-0.125 48 rlineto
0.125 -48 rmoveto
0.125 48 rlineto
stroke
p_restore
} bdef

Note that the third line from the bottom for each sideguide definition is the command "stroke." Placing a "%" character in front of it causes that line to be skipped over when the postscript is executed. Here, just as in Illustrator, a path with no stroke is invisible. This is the best way to disable the sideguide in a way that can be easily reset by removing the "%" character.

You could also delete everything between the "{" and the "}" for each guide, thus deleting the contents of the definition, but all that will need to be replaced should you want to set it back at a latter date.

Al Ferrari

k_unverzagt
08-08-2007, 12:58 PM
First, thank you for your reply. That worked perfect. "Web" Presses are reason guides are not needed. Saved a step when setting up a new template.
Take Care!
Karen

zoranj
08-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Al, thanks for explanation.
I'll have to find some time to dig into it.
I wonder if Kodak will ever give us that kind of customization so we don't have to be developers and prepress people.

demmons
01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Currenly the side guide is printing in 100% Registration which make a mess on the impression cylinder during long runs. How would I alter this code to make the side guide print in 75% Black only?

roger
01-29-2010, 07:35 PM
I wonder if Kodak will ever give us that kind of customization so we don't have to be developers and prepress people.

I had Ray do some custom coding on a variable barcode in July 2008. His rate was very fair. At that time his email was: ray_johnson@verizon.net

Roger

sequoyah
01-31-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi roger,

Thanks for posting Ray's email address. Glad to know he is still working.

Al

tapin2
02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Al, has given an excellent guide with respect to the changes for the prepc.ps procset.

Demmons, if you desire to change the side guide color?

There is an old article on eCentral (https://ecentral.kodak.com/eCentral/Self_Support/Knowledgebase/knowledgebase.asp?redirect=/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=82,E=0000000000000325026,K=3056,Sxi=10,Problem =39411,remove=case&page=problem), I say old as it refers to Preps 4.0; nonetheless the concept is the same.

By changing the "0 setseparationgray" to whatever color build you desire based on this format "C M Y K setcmykcolor".

Examples:
0 0 0 1 setcmykcolor <- will give you the sideguide in K only.
0.5 0 0 0 setcmykcolor <- will give you the sideguide in 50% Cyan.

So for your particular need, change to this:
0 0 0 0.75 setcmykcolor <- will give you the sideguide in 75% Black(K).

Now for the original question of this thread, how to turn OFF the sideguide.

Introduced in Preps 5.3.x there was a NEW item added to the CFG file.
-SIDEGUIDEANCHOR:<value>

The default for this value is 1, which is equal to Bottom.

In Preps, in any menu selection, we start with 0 as our count start. So in the drop down menu for side guides 0 = "Left"; 1 = "Bottom"; 2= "Right"; 3 = "Top"; and lastly 4 = "None".

Change the value to your desired anchor and it will work. Please note, that this was introduced in Preps 5.3.x adding this line into the CFG file for an earlier version does not mean it will work.

I hope that helps, cheers,

demmons
02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks Patrick, I will give this a try.

As far as Ray Johnson, that email is still correct. I just had him do some work for me a few weeks ago.

demmons
02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Patrick,
Changing the code worked great for CMYK jobs. But as Roger pointed out in another post there are jobs that print in Spot Color only. So.......If "setseparationgray" is registration color and "0 0 0 0.75 setcmykcolor" is 75% Black, is there a way to add Spot1 and/or Spot 2 @ 75%?

Thanks,
Dan

tapin2
02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
No, not really. I fear that unless you know each specific spot color by it's exact name and input that into the fields would be the only way.

setseparationcolor is for registration color
setcmykcolor is only for the 4c builds

I do know there are some DeviceN colorspaces, which you may find in the Adobe PS Redbook. You could experiment on your own.

My best suggestion. I would actually turn OFF the sideguide! Then using either a line DEFINED as a SmartMark (with a color set to an SSiSpotColor at the percentile you desire) or a custom eps. Since it is a SmartMark it will always find the Left or right edge, with a Y value from the grip based on the defined properties.

rotarypower3
02-18-2010, 11:29 AM
wrong thread...