PDA

View Full Version : Collating Marks

Ghostie
08-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi All,
First posting,
we are a Book Manufacturer, who have installed a Large Format Press.
we use Preps 4.2 within Agfa Apogee X, and use BPIF Standard Impo "O", which yeilds two 32pp signatures per press sheet.
We step the Collating mark location on each signature, but want to auto number the signature number within the Mark. The existing Preps autonumber mark always gives the same Number on both signatures, ( it is after all, one imposition) where we want to incrementally step them.
that is, the first press sheet carries collating marks for signatures 1 and 2, the second press sheet carries signatures marked 3 and 4, and so on.

Has anyone else the same problem, a solution, or is it something that I can do in a later version of Preps, in which case how?

thanks,

lee
08-24-2007, 06:00 PM
You need to have the "Pro" version to do this. It lets you put multiple signatures on the same press sheet without manually numbering them. Not a big issue if you are doing perfect bound books as you apparently are because the sigs stack, but if you do saddle stitched books your imposition numbering is dependent upon the number of signatures. With the "Pro" version you can number each signature independently and reuse it regardless of the number of total signatures required.

sequoyah
08-25-2007, 03:41 AM
I think the attached eps mark files will do what you want without upgrading to Pro.

Remove the ".txt" extension and place in the Preps Marks folder. I created them by modifiying Ray Johnson's sigcolld.eps back in 6/01, but have not used them since.

Let us know if they work for you.

Al Ferrari

kwillems
08-27-2007, 01:45 PM
With Preps Pro you can assign a collation mark to a specific section (signature) on a press sheet.

The modified collation marks will probably don't work in an Agfa ApogeeX workflow. You need to contact your Agfa Service Technician to be able to use these 'CUSTOM MARKS' in ApogeeX.

sequoyah
08-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I have not tried using them in ApogeeX, so you may be correct. But can you explain why?

Al Ferrari

kwillems
08-27-2007, 03:08 PM
These marks are in PostScript format and they vary in output depending on which flat they are output. This PostScript knowledge is not available anymore in ApogeeX because imposition and rendering is done in PDF. You can compare it with the 'PDF -> PDF' job in Preps, they will also not work in this job I believe.

Nevertheless, Agfa can create a PDF version of this custom collation mark that does work in a PDF environment.

sequoyah
08-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Ah, yes they are postscript, so you are correct that they would not work in a pdf workflow. My workflow is entirely postscript or mixed files (which is the same), so thanks for pointing that out.

Al Ferrari