PDA

View Full Version : Unique Collating Mark System?

tjaeger
08-27-2007, 08:49 PM
We currently are using Preps 5.2.1.

We would like to create a unique collating mark system for our signatures to help out our pocket fillers on the binder. We do not have a signature identification system on our binder/gatherer at this time.

Some ideas we have considered:

1. Every odd signature would have 1 collating mark, while every even signature would have 2 collating marks.

2. A sequential number of collating marks depending on the signature number. (eg sig 1 would have one marker, sig 2 would have two markers, sig 3 would have three markers... all the way up to sig 20).

My hope is that someone else out there has created a solution to help make signature markings more obvious. If not, we could use a little advice on how to go about setting up such a script to accomplish this.

I can be reached by email at: billremnant@gmail.com

Thank you in advance.

sequoyah
08-28-2007, 06:10 AM
In what way are the Preps supplied collating marks not adequate or unique enough? They can carry the signature number, and when properly used will progressively step down the spine so that for each signature they are in a unique location and will have a unique number.

I must not be understanding your problem, or you have not read or understood the documentation for the supplied collating marks.

Al Ferrari

tjaeger
08-28-2007, 01:25 PM
In what way are the Preps supplied collating marks not adequate or unique enough? They can carry the signature number, and when properly used will progressively step down the spine so that for each signature they are in a unique location and will have a unique number.

I must not be understanding your problem, or you have not read or understood the documentation for the supplied collating marks.

Al Ferrari

Our current collating mark system does carry the signature number, and they progressively step down. I'm trying to make the signature marks more obvious and presented in such a way that misplaced signatures show up with a glance at the edge of a signature stack (either while they are jogging the signatures prior to insertion, or while they are already placed in the binder pocket).

We run light on staff and we just need an OBVIOUS system that helps us quickly diagnose when there is a signature mix-up.

As I said in my original post, I considered putting a specific mark on Odd numbered signatures and another kind of mark on Even numbered signatures (since most of our mix-ups happen with signatures in the next pocket over). Or just sequentially making all the signatures add up marks till you have 20 marks on number 20 signature.

I was hoping that maybe someone else had a solution along these lines.

Thank you for your input.

sequoyah
08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
From your description, it seems you are already doing what has been industry wide practice for many decades, perhaps over a century (anyone know?). So you need to come up with the practical obvious visual indicator that will allow you to "run light on staff."

Perhaps some sort of guide at the pocket itself to draw the eye to the "correct" location for the mark in that particular pocket. Something like a vertical plastic strip the width of the mark. This would get placed at the correct location as part of the set up. Thereafter, when reloading the pocket during the run, if the new lift of signatures does not line up with the guide, they are "obviously" the wrong ones.

Anything better would have to be some sort of electric eye that scans the stack vertically at the required location. I think I'll patent that!

Al Ferrari

tjaeger
08-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Thank you for your reply, Al.

Our current collating marks are 2mm x 3mm.

Is that the standard size? Anyone run with something larger?

sequoyah
08-28-2007, 08:05 PM
3 mm seems very small. Maybe that's the problem. I use .125 x .5 inch. So 20 signatures equals 10 inches (assuming an 11 inch spine).

Al