PDA

View Full Version : CS3 Postscript pages vertical offsets

banjo5
09-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Anyone having major offset problems with PostScript files from InDes CS3? About 33 mm vertical on an A4 page. Have the latest Adobe updates. But am on PREPS 5.2.1. Is this likely to disappear with CS3 bug-removal evolution, or is it more likely to be at the PREPS end? Will try and investigate the 5.2.2 update, which someone suggested on another forum.

dpcurry
09-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I've not seen that problem with CS3, but I have seen a similar issue with Quark 7 postscripts. Exporting PDF directly from Q7 was my workaround.

The problem I've seen with CS3 postscripts in the run list is that some fonts get dropped, even when simply stepping 1 page across a sheet some will be fine, others drop type. The same file printed out of CS2 did not exhibit the problem, and I've seen it on different jobs. Workaround is to use PDF for those as well.

jweintz
09-04-2007, 05:01 PM
I have been fighting this same issue since day one of CS3. I am using a Heidelberg Dousetter ppd and Preps 5.3. If I create a PDF and do an inrip separation everything seems to work. Everybody seems to think this is someone elses problem

sequoyah
09-06-2007, 04:28 AM
Could it be that the page shifts are due to unsymmetrical bleed?

jweintz
09-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Not in my case. I can save the CS3 file back to an .inx and then open it in CS2 and it will work fine. Can't do this every time, sometimes the file just comes out different. Also if I create a PDF from CS3 and then do an in-rip it places correctly.

sequoyah
09-08-2007, 03:27 PM
The fact that the problem does not occur with pdfs does not shed any light on it because the location of the page boundary is done differently in postscript, compared to pdf.

That it occurs in CS3, but not CS2 is more interesting. Is it with all CS3 files, or only some? Can you give some description of the kinds of files that show the problem? Does single pages versus spreads make a difference? Does it occur for all pages in a file, or just some? Also what is the simplest test file you can come up with that produces this problem?

I don't have CS3 yet, so I can't test it.

Al Ferrari

jweintz
09-10-2007, 03:51 PM
It seems as though all files move. The letter size file moves up about 2.3 inches where as say 4X6 cards are up and to the right. Legal size files are also offset up and to the right. I have not tried a tabloid size file. All pages in the file move. I use a Heildelberg Douosetter PPD and have tried all from Quaser 6.1 through Duosetter 8.1 and it does not seem to make a difference. Every file I receive from our customers that is in CS3 move. I do think you are on to something about the page boundry in that files other than Letter offset up and to the right. I will have a Heidelberg Tech in the shop today or tomorrow and I will throw this at him.
Jon Weintz
ISU Printing Service

risca2
09-12-2007, 12:28 PM
We have just installed InDesign CS3 on PC and immediately are having the same problem with vertical offsets in Preps 5.2.2 on Mac, with ps files. PDFs are OK.
vertical offset of 13.5mm on a 320mm press sheet on screen. But when printing postscript from Preps the image moves up massively, like about 110mm so it goes way off the page.

tlotzer
09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
We strip in FPOs made by Rampage RIP. Don't have the problem, but for a test, make a small clear box and paste it on every page in the upper left corner, or paste a clear bounding box equal to your page size and try it again.

banjo5
09-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Nice to know that we're not alone. Have just installed PREPS 5.3 on Friday, and have migrated everything across, but haven't dragged it around the block yet. Won't happen until this coming Fri/Sat. I'm intending to email this link to the Kodak[Preps] support guy and try and talk to him through the week. By the look of it the move to 5.3 won't resolve it. Wouldn't surprise me though if an upcoming InDes Update will come along and suddenly it will be a distant memory. Such things have happened before.
Shall post back on any meaningful progress.

sequoyah
09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Reviewing this thread, the earliest version of preps reporting this problem is 5.2.1. Has anyone seen it on earlier Preps versions? Does it occur in 5.1.5? That is my version of Preps, but I still do not have IDCS3, so I cannot test it.

Again I would ask if the problem can be reproduced with a simple test file such as one having just a rectangle or some such on a page?

Al Ferrari

jweintz
09-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I have just put a small black box with nothing else on the page in INDCS3 and it still offsets the page.

sequoyah
09-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that quick response. How about creating postscript for that simple test file from IDCS2 as well as IDCS3, and then checking the %%Bounding Box line for each one in the header comments using BBEdit or TextWrangler?

When I create postscript for such a test file using the Device Independent ppd, the header comments look like this:

%!PS-Adobe-3.1
%%Title: Untitled-1
%%Creator: Adobe InDesign CS (3.0.1)
%%For: alferrari
%%CreationDate: 9/24/07, 8:38:21 AM
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
%%HiResBoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
%%CropBox: 0 0 612 792
%%LanguageLevel: 3
%%DocumentNeededResources: (atend)
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: (atend)
%%DocumentNeededFeatures: (atend)
%%DocumentSuppliedFeatures: (atend)
%%DocumentData: Binary
%%PageOrder: Ascend
%%Pages: (atend)
%%DocumentProcessColors: (atend)
%%DocumentCustomColors: (atend)
%%EndComments
%%BeginDefaults
%%ViewingOrientation: 1 0 0 1
%%EndDefaults
%%BeginProlog
%%BeginResource: procset Adobe_AGM_Utils 1.0 0
%%Version: 1.0 0
%%Copyright: Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Adobe Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

The %%Bounding Box line for each one should be the same, but if not, that may lead to an explanation. If they are the same, then Preps is treating them differently. Why would that be?

Al Ferrari

jweintz
09-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Here are the bbedit file using Heidelberg PPD
for CS2
%!PS-Adobe-3.1
%ADO_DSC_Encoding: MacOS Roman
%%Title: CS2.indd
%%Creator: Adobe InDesign CS2 (4.0.5)
%%For: jonweintz
%%CreationDate: 9/24/07, 12:31 PM
%%BoundingBox: -9 -9 621 801
%%HiResBoundingBox: -9 -9 621 801
%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
%%TargetDevice: (Linotype) (3011.103) 0
%%EndComments
%%BeginDefaults
%%EndDefaults

and for CS3
%!PS-Adobe-3.1
%%Title: CS3.indd
%%Creator: Adobe InDesign CS3 (5.0)
%%CreationDate: 9/24/07, 12:29 PM
%%TargetDevice: (Linotype) (3011.103) 0
%%EndComments
%%BeginDefaults
%%EndDefaults
I do see differences for yours to mine but mine are the same.
Jon

jweintz
09-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Here is one using "Page Independence"
%!PS-Adobe-3.1
%%Title: CS3.indd
%%CreationDate: 9/24/07, 12:51 PM
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 630 810
%%HiResBoundingBox: 0 0 630 810
%%CropBox: 9 9 621 801
%%EndComments

sequoyah
09-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Well the ones using Heidelberg PPD are identical for CS2/CS3 for these three lines which I asume are what Preps uses to determine the outer page boundaries and how to handle them:

Do THESE two ps pages show the shift problem? If they do not, then we need to see the comparable headder lines for CS2/CS3 ps files made with whatever ppd gets used for those cases that do show the shift problem.

Al Ferrari

jweintz
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
The CS2 and CS3 files bbedit files look identical but only the CS2 file prints without a shift. I am sure the -9 is the bleed set for .125". So that part makes sense.
Jon Weintz

sequoyah
09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Yes, the -9 is the bleed.

I suggest that those having this problem please send an email to Nick Benkovich <nick.benkovich@creo.com> asking him to check out the discussion on this thread, but more importantly, the problem itself, and would he please post some explanation here in addition to responding to you directly.

Al Ferrari

sequoyah
09-26-2007, 09:38 PM
While I don't doubt that those of you reporting it, are indeed having the problem described in your posts, I am not able to reproduce it in a simple test. I obtained a IDCS3 device independent ps file from an associate using a test file created in CS3 equal to one I created in IDCS: letter page with a 7.5 x 10 box centered with no fill and a 1pt. stroke. In each case we output device independent level 3 ps with just crop marks. The header comments for these files are bellow, and a pdf of the imposed output from Preps 5.1.5, in OS X 10.3.9 is attached. The signature used is for 2up layout W/Turn on 17.5 x 22.5 press sheet. The imposed ps output is done with my SS7000 ppd. I normally output directly from Preps to the imagesetter Star 600 rip.

I have done this because I will install Tiger and the CS3 applications next week and I was anticipating the reported problem. Could it be that the problem occurs only with Preps 5.2 and up? Did any of you see it in Preps 5.1.5 or lower?

Al Ferrari

%!PS-Adobe-3.1
%%Title: CS.indd
%%Creator: Adobe InDesign CS (3.0.1)
%%For: alferrari
%%CreationDate: 9/26/07, 1:06:19 PM
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 654 834
%%HiResBoundingBox: 0 0 654 834
%%CropBox: 21 21 633 813
%%EndComments
%%BeginDefaults
%%EndDefaults
%%BeginProlog
%%Copyright: Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Adobe Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

%!PS-Adobe-3.1
%%Title: Untitled-1
%%For: ptrusk
%%CreationDate: 9/26/07, 11:31 AM
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 654 834
%%HiResBoundingBox: 0 0 654 834
%%CropBox: 21 21 633 813
%%EndComments
%%BeginDefaults
%%EndDefaults
%%BeginProlog
%%Copyright: Copyright(C)2000-2006 Adobe Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

jweintz
09-27-2007, 02:05 PM
I have talked to Landon @Kodak and he recommemded using the device independent setting and this corrects the offset problem. The reason I have used the Heidelberg PPD is that I have more control over my settings in the CS3 print engine. If the DI works I will just have to get used to it. The only problem I have is why in CS3 does this problem show up. We have always used the Heidelberg PPD since before 2000.
Thanks for everyones help.
Jon

sequoyah
09-27-2007, 05:26 PM
The report by jweintz is very interesting. Out of curiosity, what ppd was being used to create the ps from IDCS3 by the other users reporting this problem? Does using the Device Independent ppd from ID (or whatever it's called in CS3) solve the problem?

Al Ferrari