PDA

View Full Version : Short searches in GUA forums

brett
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure this is the right forum to post this to. Anyway, a little annoyance I've run into on this forum (and I guess, other php/mysql forums as well), is that you are unable to perform three letter searches. However, with so many of the prinergy and prepress related terms we use, we mainly refer to them by their acronyms. For example, just to list a few: VPS, MVP, EPS, RBA, RIP, PDF, RGB. When writing a post, most people don't refer to a VPS as a virtual proofing system file, they just call it a VPS. Searching for "VPS" on this forum, as it is configured, is not possible.

However, it is possible to reconfigure the system to get it to work. That is assuming we have root access to the server. I googled... and found how one site did it.....
http://beta.tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4312

Anybody know if this would be possible here?

robert.hammen
09-27-2007, 09:42 PM
That should be trivial to do, but then again, so should the vBulletin upgrade to 3.6.8, and we're sitting waiting for that to happen. At least the site isn't as glacially slow as it used to be...

tclifford
09-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Rich,

Kodak has just put into place a new person to watch over the forums. This person, amanda brock, is learning the tools adndwill be helping to get the upgrade installed. I do nto have a good timeline on the upgrade, but I do know it has been purchased and willbe installed soon...

thomas

todd.malone
10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi All - just a tiny update, the request for the short search mod is in the queue...I don't have an ETA yet.

I wasn't aware that we were driving to the new version, so, I'll have to check that the two things don't collide.

Cheers...Todd

robert.hammen
10-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi All - just a tiny update, the request for the short search mod is in the queue...I don't have an ETA yet.

I wasn't aware that we were driving to the new version, so, I'll have to check that the two things don't collide.

Would appreciate an update on when the update might be installed. Also seems to be some performance issues yet with the site... I was on last night and posted a message (in a Prinergy 4 thread), my post timed out for some reason (yet the message got posted), and it had nothing to do with my Internet connection...

todd.malone
10-19-2007, 07:52 PM
That's weird - that your post would time out.

I'll try to find out the timelines on implementation and get back to you.

Cheers...Todd

robert.hammen
10-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Yes, it timed out Tuesday or Wednesday evening (probably around 10 p.m. Central time). I've seen persistent performance issues in the past... less so after I complained big-time to Leslie about it earlier last year.

As long as you are looking for fixes, we REALLY need to get the email delay issue resolved. Emails can take 2-3 DAYS to come from this site. When it's email subscription to threads, it's less of a concern than the "reset password" emails, which are also delayed 2-3 days.

There should be no reason for this delay at all...

Disclaimer: I help moderate another vBulletin site on the 'net/have some experience with configuration of the software used on this site...

--Robert