PDA

View Full Version : Getting collation to print in front of pages?

macroom2
02-14-2006, 04:14 AM
Hi all,

No matter what I have tried i can't seem to get signature marks to the front when printing to our rip. I set them to be in front in the mark info but they don't appear in front on the job. We use a celebra rip and place EPS placement files in preps that get updated once arriving at the rip. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I have also tried a white rectangle for a glue trap and can't get that to stay in front either.

Any suggestions???

sequoyah
02-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Do your job pages bleed into the area of the collation mark? Just as a test, using a copy, try it with no bleed on those sides of those pages.

macroom2
02-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Yep that's the work around we currently use. I did some tests yesterday and found that if I place hi-res postscripts straight into the preps doc then all the marks work fine. It's just when I use eps placement files and the rip combines the impo on the fly that the marks go to the back.

I got the white rectangle to work on the hi-res test too. But it does not show up using our normal workflow.

sequoyah
02-14-2006, 07:41 PM
I think it may have to do with the sequence of all this. When you bypass the workflow Preps is able to place the marks AFTER the pages. But in the workflow, the substitution step places the pages on top of the already placed marks. If that's the explanation, then it needs to be solved in the workflow some how, not in Preps I would guess. But note that I don't know much about this.

Good luck.

macroom2
02-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks,

I'm inclined to agree with you. Hopefully celebrant will be able to shed some light on it for me.

Off the subject.... I'm also trying to make the marks into a SSiCustomColor so I can force the inks manager on the rip to overprint them. (it works with our other smart marks) I have three SSI colors on the template, one for the collation mark, one for the smart trim lines and one for my white box but when I go to print the preps job only 2 show up in the separations. Any ideas about that???

sequoyah
02-14-2006, 08:08 PM
You don't say which ones do/do not how up.

macroom2
02-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Sorry, More testing done. It's the smart collation mark thats the problem. It would appear that the colour won't change. Maybe it defaults to being on all separations?

sequoyah
02-14-2006, 08:30 PM
If you are saying that with an SSiCustom color asignment it doesn't show even in with the no bleed work around, then I have no ideas.

To continue testing it, you can put it on a test template with just one page, and place it well away from the page so you don't have to do the work around.

sequoyah
02-14-2006, 08:32 PM
I just noticed that you say "smart" collation mark. What hapens with a static collation mark?

macroom2
02-14-2006, 09:20 PM
With further testing I have concluded that It's definitely an issue with our rip. Preps works as it's meant to when I use it with hi-res postscripts. The problem only occurs when our rip puts the elements together. It seems that it places the pages over the top of the preps marks contained in the template when compiling it on the fly.

Thanks for your input and suggestions along the way.

sequoyah
02-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Well it was only 2 cents. Not even worth sending you an invoice. Now if we had kept it up we could have gotten to real money!

sequoyah
02-15-2006, 03:48 AM
One more thought. Are you able to do replacement of other elements besides pages? If so, can you somehow arrange for replacement of the collation mark AFTER the page replacement, even if it is just with the same mark? The idea is to get a copy of the mark on top of the pages, even if this would duplicate it.