PDA

View Full Version : Q7 vs I5

edwarde
10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
We have had such an influx of Indesign files we have noticed some serious short comings. It seems in ID, once you change a spot color to 4c in your swatch palette, you can not change it back to spot without a big workaround which involves manipulating the Linked file. The whole INDD suffix drives us crazy. Whats up with resized files always being centered instead of top left x and y. It's a pretty good program, but takes twice as long to process during busy production periods where we assembly line our files.

robert.hammen
10-05-2007, 02:05 AM
We have had such an influx of Indesign files we have noticed some serious short comings. It seems in ID, once you change a spot color to 4c in your swatch palette, you can not change it back to spot without a big workaround which involves manipulating the Linked file. The whole INDD suffix drives us crazy. Whats up with resized files always being centered instead of top left x and y. It's a pretty good program, but takes twice as long to process during busy production periods where we assembly line our files.

Hmm... what's the converting a spot color to process in the swatch palette issue? You talking about colors created in ID versus imported from placed art?

indd? Big whoop, deal with .qxd or .xls or .doc too.

The reference point (upper left corner) determines where a file is referenced. So, before placing files, just make sure it's the upper left corner and not center.

The huge advantage to ID for us is the ability to natively export a good PDF file (as opposed to the crappy useless JAWS PDF you get out of QuarkXPress). Any navigation frustrations with ID are definitely overruled by this output issue...

slivingston
10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
As far as changing spots to process in InDesign, use the Ink Manager. It is available via the pull down menu in the swatches and via the print dialog box. It converts for output purposed and leaves the spot color info alone for the file.

I understand your frustration with placing images. It does take a little getting used to. It is funny, in the past any of our production staff would have groaned having to do this stuff in anything other than Quark. Now, most of our staff would just assume throw Quark out the window.

For us, the real advantage of Indy seems to come from our ability to output from it. It is like Quark used to be, we get predictable output from InDesign. We cannot get that from Quark 7 in some cases. For instance, I spent 3 hours troubleshooting a Quark 7 file that had a very complex layout with drop shadows. That same file built in InDesign would not have been a problem. If all else fails, I could have output a PDF out of InDesign and refined that. However, as I pointed out to a coworker, Adobe did not start to get transparency right until at least InDesign CS (version 3). This is Quark's first crack at it, so maybe version 8 or 9 they will get it right. ;-)

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem with the file extension .indd? The only problem we have is that you cannot tell a difference in the icon on which version it is. But that is an OS problem, not an InDesign problem.

edwarde
10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
In ID, if you have a picture and it is spot, you change it in ink managere to 4c it works perfect...problem is...if you try to convert the color back to spot, it is all grayed out...you can not do it. I have no qxd. issues, but if I name a file, I want it to be that name, not with the suffixes. And how can I resize a document where if it resizes my x and y is the top left corner instead of center. I have not had any rip issues with Quark except an occasional black knockout/overprint which behaves the same in several desktop programs. ID is pretty good, but picture manipulation will never be as simple as Quark.

dpcurry
10-08-2007, 01:36 PM
In ID, if you have a picture and it is spot, you change it in ink managere to 4c it works perfect...problem is...if you try to convert the color back to spot, it is all grayed out...you can not do it.

What? I just go back into the Ink Manager and change it back to spot - done it many times successfully. Just click on the far left CMYK icon next to the color in the list and it changes to a Spot icon.

And how can I resize a document where if it resizes my x and y is the top left corner instead of center.

I agree with you here that it can sometimes be a pain, especially since we are all used to the way Quark simply adds to or subtracts from the right and bottom of the page. However, a little simple mathematics is all that is required. If you have a page that is 8-1/2 x 11 and resize it to 9x12, all you need to do is move everything left 1/2 the distance of the difference in page width (in this case, it would be 1/4") and then move everything up 1/2 the distance of the difference in page height (1/2") to get everything back to where it was in relation to the upper left corner.

You can even let InD do the math for you - select all, and in the X coordinate box in the control bar, insert your cursor after the existing number and then type "-.25" and it will subtract .25" from the current position.

Ideally, I would like to see Adobe give the user control over where the page resing anchor is - kinda like how in Photoshop you can choose where extra canvas is added, or how you can specify anchor points of objects in InD.

hbanderson
02-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Ideally, I would like to see Adobe give the user control over where the page resing anchor is - kinda like how in Photoshop you can choose where extra canvas is added, or how you can specify anchor points of objects in InD.

In the upper left corner on InDesign there is a symbol that looks kind of like a waffle. It has nine squares. Select the center square to resize from center.

dpcurry
02-25-2008, 07:37 PM
In the upper left corner on InDesign there is a symbol that looks kind of like a waffle. It has nine squares. Select the center square to resize from center.

That is for resizing objects - we're talking about resizing the document.

hbanderson
02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
That is for resizing objects - we're talking about resizing the document.

You can resize the document, not the page content however by selecting the anchor point and going into document setup and selecting a new size. I you select the center it will put the contents into the center.

This doesn't work for spreads. It reads the center as the center of the spread. I've had some documents that I've resized by unselecting the Facing Pages box, changing the size, and after the document was resized going back into the Document Setup and reselecting the Facing Pages box. I haven't tried it with image crossovers but I doubt it would work. Most of the time I'll just export a PDF and resize that.

Quark 7 comes with free Xpert tools that has Xpert Scale which resizes the pages and content. I like this much better, especially if I have to reduce the size.

rgoodman
02-25-2008, 11:45 PM
In ID, if you have a picture and it is spot, you change it in ink managere to 4c it works perfect...problem is...if you try to convert the color back to spot, it is all grayed out...you can not do it. I have no qxd. issues, but if I name a file, I want it to be that name, not with the suffixes. And how can I resize a document where if it resizes my x and y is the top left corner instead of center. I have not had any rip issues with Quark except an occasional black knockout/overprint which behaves the same in several desktop programs. ID is pretty good, but picture manipulation will never be as simple as Quark.
edwarde:

I'm afraid if you are going to keep working in the Mac OS that you are going to have to get used to using file name extensions (what you call suffixes). The Mac OS is becoming more "Windows" like and reliant on these extensions to the file names and from what I've read, in the future you will not have a choice. You should make a practice to familiarize yourself on the different extensions and start using them, so that you'll be ready for the change over. You should also go to your Finder Preferences > Advanced and choose "Show all file extensions".

I for one, being in a Prepress environment and receiving files from all walks of life and through all means (disc, email, ftp, etc.), I am pleased when I see files come in with these extensions because they immediately inform me what kind of file they are. Many times file that are received via email get their resource forks stripped away and it may take some hunting and pecking to discover what kind of files they are if they don't have these extensions.

dpcurry
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
You can resize the document, not the page content however by selecting the anchor point and going into document setup and selecting a new size. I you select the center it will put the contents into the center.

I must be missing something, because no matter which anchor point I have selected, it always resizes the document from the center. Does it have something to do with Layout Adjustment, perhaps? I keep that turned off.