PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Bound Gutters - 6mm Grind off

sford
10-11-2007, 08:33 AM
How do you get Preps to not bleed the pages into the 6mm gutters/grind off of a perfect bound template?

sequoyah
10-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Bleed is a page attribute. So select the page in the template and "Get Info". In the resulting dialog, click "Additional Settings" and you will see an area for setting bleeds for each side of the page. You will have to do this for each page in the template.

Out of curiosity, why do you not want bleed at the spine?

Al Ferrari

d23w
10-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Out of curiosity, why do you not want bleed at the spine?

It may be because some perfect bound glues do not stick that well to the ink, especially if on coated stock. The pages end up falling out of the book. We have a 1/16" paste allowance on our templates, achieved by having a minus 1/16" bleed.

Dave O'Neill

meridian
02-07-2012, 09:20 PM
In Preps 5 we put in an independent page on the back side of the opposite page that has the pull back of -.125 In Preps 6 can you assign -.125 for the bleed on a page and have the back side of the sheet stay with bleed? or does it have to take on the same bleed as the front? Right now it looks as if they change together. Can you get them to change independantly?

sequoyah
02-07-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't have Preps 6, but in 5.3.3 the page bleed can be adjusted for each side either when creating the page with the Additional settings button, or after it is created, by selecting it from the signature and from the Menu selecting Template/Modify Template Page/Modify bleed Margins.

moznov
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Am I missing something here? The 6mm on the back edge is ground off anyway so it makes no difference if there is bleed there or not. The only place we make sure there is no bleed is 5mm in from the back edge of the first and last pages of a perfect bound book to ensure the cover glues on securely. This you can do either in Preps or by altering the PDF.

Prinergy 5.2.2.0 | PrepsPro 6.2 | InSite 6.1.2 | Magnus 800 Quantum

meridian
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your response. It's the first and last pages of the signatures that I am talking about. In order to get the -.125 on the front we have to put in an independent page for the back. But in Preps 6 I think we may have to make a "white box" mark for the front and assign it as a smart mark instead of a bleed scenario. What do you think of that idea?

moznov
02-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes, it's quite easy to add a white box Smart Mark to the first & last pages of an impo. You can also use Pitstop to add a white box to the PDF itself (my preferred option).

Always wise to do the same to spine of the the inner cover as well (spine width + 5mm each side) so you have no ink on either the pages or inner cover ensuring better glue adhesion.

Prinergy 5.2.2.0 | PrepsPro 6.2 | InSite 6.1.2 | Magnus 800 Quantum