PDA

View Full Version : Preps XL, Pro or Plus???

dnapier
10-12-2007, 05:07 PM
We are looking to add another Preps workstation to our commercial printing department. Currently we have three copies of Preps Pro for Mac. I am having a bit of trouble finding info on side by side comparisons of Preps XL, Plus and Pro. The "extra" copy of Preps would only be used to impose our standard inhouse PDF to PDF jobs where templates are already created and all devices, marks and templates are stored on server.
For $1,000 to $3,000 less will Preps XL do the job.
Any input appreciated.

jminrod
10-13-2007, 01:26 AM
What kind of workflow are you using. I have prinergy evo and we can integrate preps templates or marks and have them come out without even opening preps. Also could I reccomend looking into getting a 5 pack floating license That way to you don't have to leave your computer. One new feature I know about is preps ganging feature with preps 5.3 but it only works with preps plus. All is to the best of my knowledge, hope it helps.

dnapier
10-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks Jim
Ganging we will not need. We have a new operator who usually shares one of our three workstations to paginate our house pubs. Two of the stations are dedicated to commercial work and the third to our reg tab pubs. The new workstation would only be used to set up jobs and add PDF files using our standard, existing templates and print PDF flats to drop in Harlquin rip. Seems XL or Plus would do what we need, but hard to find side by side comparisons on the company site. I am seeing that XL lacks "Press marks", but do not know exactly what that means!

prepper
10-16-2007, 01:56 AM
We were looking at the same options a while back. Plus will do everything Pro does except for 2 or 3 things which we've never used. I don't remember right now exactly what those were but I can probably get you that info tomorrow at work. Pretty sure it may be in the manuals if you have those? In any case, I'll check. Also, ask them about reduced price for another license, I don't believe you have to pay full price, still pretty high, but not full?

Terry

prepper
10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Not sure how much has changed but from my manual on Version 4, page 7:

Support for Delta List: Pro yes, plus & XL no
Multiple Sections: Pro yes, plus & XL no
OPI processing: Pro & XL yes, plus no
DCS processing: Pro yes, plus & XL no
Level 1 & 2 color separation: Pro & Plus yes, XL no
Automatic and custom tiling: Pro & PLus yes, XL no
Multiple output files: Pro & Plus yes, XL no
Press Marks: Pro & Plus yes, XL no
Docutech Job Tickets: Pro & XL yes, Plus no
Digipath Documents: Pro & XL window only yes, Plus no

Hope this helps,
Terry

jcannon
10-16-2007, 04:05 PM
I know Web Growth Compensation only works in the Pro version.

prepper
10-17-2007, 03:46 PM
http://graphics1.kodak.com/us/product/workflow_data_storage/printing_solutions/production_planning/preps/preps_plus2pro.htm

Web growth, Export CIP3 cutting data and Interactive ganging in Pro but not Plus.