View Full Version : Who Is Using Variable Data Printing?

Rob Robinson
10-12-2007, 04:10 PM
There isn't much activity in this forum so I'm curious as to the extent everyone is using variable data printing. We're looking at two options: Kodak's M-700 and Xerox's DocuColor 5000. Ownership is sold on this being a potentially lucrative profit center, giving our customers better options as well as appealing to new clients with variable marketing.

Anyone using the M-700 with Digital Print JDF Connectivity for Prinergy? Or going direct from Prinergy? Comparisons to Xerox's FreeFlow? Comments about the NexStation 5 RIP?

Anyone using XMPie or Fusion Pro?

10-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Something we're looking into. XMPIE seems to be the way to go from what I can see...

Rob Robinson
10-18-2007, 10:21 PM
It was explained to me that Fusion Pro does less but is faster at simpler tasks than XMPie. I believe Fusion Pro is a plug-in for Acrobat, XMPie a plug-in for InDesign.

The crickets in this forum are scaring me a little...

10-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Don't forget Darwin. Easy to use and learn and very powerfully.

There is a new web based demo at www.pod-wf.com/darwin - click on product tour

you can also downlooad a trial version.

10-25-2007, 03:18 PM
We are a litho printer that has been using digital printing for over 10 years first with a Xeikon and now with a NexPress and Digimaster. About 50% of our work is variable. Our digital printing department is VERY profitable. We do have Prinergy, Insite, Eyemedia, RBA, and Digital Print and are now using one workflow for eveything. We use several programs for our variable data as one does not fill all needs. Kodak is suppose to have by Drupa a workflow that will compete with XMPie. They have made great strifes in that last year towards one workflow and the latest upgrades for Prinergy and Insite show that progress. Our goal is a lights out workflow from online web order to press. Call me if you have any questions 626-710-1000.

Susan Kinney

10-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Here's hoping that Kodak doesn't tie their solution into the NexPress hardware, but works with everyone (and also offers the online solutions that XMPIE does). The next question would be, how integrated with Prinergy it ends up...

12-16-2007, 12:48 PM
We have two HP Indigo 5500's and three Digimasters that run well over 95% variable data. Most people are using Indigo as static 4 color press but we have a KBA Genius 14x20 for that and our Indigo's run variable day in/day out. We use the DigiMasters for hybrid variable data jobs, 4 color off web & sheetfed, then a layer of black only variable data over that.

12-17-2007, 02:49 PM
We are using the prinergy connect to the NexPress. We have been doing variable printing for over 10 years, first with a Xeikon and the last 2 years with the NexPress. We are a commercial printer with design, Prinergy CTP, litho (40"), digital (NexPress & digimaster), full bindery and mailing. The digital department is the most profitable department in the shop and has been for the last 4 years. I am glad I am a full service printer instead of just a litho printer!

Susan Kinney
Castle Press.