PDA

View Full Version : Custom Color Mark

nhloewen
10-15-2007, 07:45 PM
I am trying to make a mark in Illustrator, but need to be able to change the color of the mark in Preps, is this possible? Everytime I try bringing in my mark, the color option is greyed out.

Mark Lewinger
10-15-2007, 08:03 PM
What workflow are you in?

nhloewen
10-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Preps 5.2.2 into Prinergy 4.0.2

sequoyah
10-16-2007, 01:12 AM
I can't comment on how a workflow affects this because I don't use one, but I use many custom color marks with spot colors that I map to real job colors in the Preps Separations Dialog. I suggest that in Illustrator you create the spot colors and name them "SSiCustomColor1, SSiCustomColor2, SSiCustomColor3, SSiCustomColor4, etc." That way they will coordinate with other marks you may have created in Preps which use those SSiCustomColors. This works very well for me.

But I think this does not work in a pdf workflow.

Al Ferrari

jminrod
10-24-2007, 02:26 AM
They are greyed out becuase you are probably printing a pjtf for your prinergy workflow. We do have a color bar that I set up as spots 1-8. We then map those colors on each output in your prinergy job. This is something you have to do each time prinergy evo, If you have prinergy connect I believe you can do a per job color edit and have them map the same for anytime that it is used for that job. Hope it helps

nhloewen
10-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Is there a way to edit the marks built into Preps, such as the exposure bars in there?

tlotzer
11-02-2007, 01:50 PM
See my link:
http://www.mygua.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8262#post8262

nhloewen
11-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Thats not really what I am shooting for, I am hoping to make one mark with the screen values I want, and to be able to select the color to map it to in Preps.

sequoyah
11-03-2007, 02:55 PM
> Everytime I try bringing in my mark, the color option is greyed out

Where are they grayed out, in the Mark Information dialog in the Template Editor, or in the separations dialog at output time?

If it is the former, they are grayed out because the mark is an external mark. The color assignment there is for the simple marks created in Preps like rectangles or such.

For a mark created in Illustrator, the color assignment would be done in the separations dialog at output time for each job. If your Illustrator mark uses a color named "spotty", then there will be a "spotty" color in the separations dialog, where it can be mapped to one of the other job colors.

Does that help?

Al Ferrari

jminrod
11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
It should depend on what type of file you arre outputting from preps. a pjtf is greyed because it will allow prinergy to map the mark at a later time. But a PDF should allow you to map the color to anything in that file. Let us know what type of file you are outputting to and I can try it on our end.

nhloewen
11-06-2007, 07:07 PM
The issues was importing a custom mark into Preps, then mapping the color inside Preps to different colors each time the mark was placed. There are canned marks inside the program that you can do this with. Kodak informed me that this is not possible to do, so we will just make the mark they same colors as our color bars use, and map in Prinergy as needed.