PDA

View Full Version : Paper Size Mark

deananderson
10-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi

Does anyone know a way of getting the papersize to output on plate?

Ideally the mark would say 900mmx640mm etc. dependant on the imposition that is selected. At the moment we hard code them on but as usual when humans get involved things always run smoothly until they don't!!!

Any help Appreciated

Dean

Prinergy 3.x (soon 4); Preps 5.3 Pro, UpFront 4.x

sequoyah
10-16-2007, 08:23 PM
We need some sheet width and height variables in the postscript stream. I have been asking for this for years literally. Perhaps if others ask for this, we may eventually get them.

In the meantime, you can cut down on the error rate in hard coding that info into your templates by copying/pasting the text mark from a template that has it correct to a new template. You'll need to have both templates open while doing it. The template editor seems not to use the clipboard.

Another option is to have a series of marks such as the one attached here, named after the sheet size, and containing the W and H info internally. This one gets placed at the center of the lead edge. I does some things you may not be interested in, but it may give you some ideas.

Al Ferrari

sequoyah
11-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Responding to a message I sent him about the need for these variables, Nick Benkovich informs me that the upcoming 5.3.1 version of Preps (due in mid November) will have these new variables in the output postscript stream:

"p_presssheetwidth"
"p_presssheetheight"

containing that information from the signature used in the output. These new variables should not be confused with the similarly named ones

"p_sheet_width"
"p_sheet_height"

which have been in place for quite some time, but which contain the media size information instead.

Note that these variables cannot be used in a text mark in the Template Editor, but can be used by a hand coded postscript template mark which can use the information to print it on the press sheet or to compute some calculated value for a location on the press sheet for some other purpose.

So for example, a mark could be written to use these variables to place another mark in the center of the press sheet for any size press sheet. This may sound like something more easily done with a smart mark, and that is true. But a hand coded mark could place several other marks and adjust to any size press sheet using these new variables.

Al Ferrari

deananderson
11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reply

So this begs the question - how do I hand code a mark?

sequoyah
11-28-2007, 03:32 AM
OK, here is a start:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-1.2
%%Creator: Sequoyah Graphics (Hand Coded by Al)
%%Title: sheet size.eps
%%CreationDate: 11-27-2007
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 18 18
%%ColorUsage: Color
%%EndComments
%%EndProlog
%%IncludeFont: Helvetica

save
PrepsDict begin
/Helvetica findfont
18 scalefont setfont

%---------------------- Sheet Size ------------------

/w p_presssheetwidth .356 mul def
/h p_presssheetheight .356 mul def

w show
( X ) show
h show

end
restore
%%Trailer

Copy the text above to a text editor such as Text Wrangler and save with a name of your choice to the Preps marks folder. Then make a simple template with one arbitrary size page and place the mark, and save the template. The mark places as a .25 inch rectangle (line 5). Create a test job with a blank page in the run list and the test template in the sigs list and preview the sig in the Preps previewer.

This is just a simple proof of concept example. You will need to have a clear idea of what you want the mark to do with the content of those variables. The data is initially in points, and is converted it to mm.

Al Ferrari

Note that I have written this from home where I do not have a Preps dongle, so I have not tested it yet. In due course, I will test it and post a correction if needed.

landon.voth
11-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Preps 5.3.1 has now been released and the sheet size variables have been added to Preps along with a few others. The Preps Online Help has been updated to include information on these variables. Here are the new variables in 5.3.1:

$device
Name of the device to which this output is printing, derived from its Nickname in the Device Configuration dialog box

$PressRunNumber
Sequential number of the press sheet as it appears in the Preps Signature List window or Preps Ganging press sheets list. This variable is useful for identifying press runs (Preps signatures) that contain multiple webs and/or sections.

$SheetHeight and $SheetWidth
Height and width of the press sheet (that is, the stock on which the output will be imaged), in the unit that is currently selected in Preferences

Regards,
Landon

sequoyah
11-28-2007, 08:13 PM
You got to love a moving target!

No need to hand code an eps mark for that then. Just make a template text mark that uses those variables. Although the postscript stream variables remain useful for those that want to create maks that calculate positions and distances with them.

Al Ferrari