View Full Version : Preps on 2 machines results in different setbacks

10-30-2007, 04:06 PM
We are experiencing some unusual outputs using the very same template from 2 different machines. Occasionally, not always, when my co-worker sends a job from his his machine, his plate output will be 1/8" off, all marks and work are 1/8" too close to grip. Just yesterday I made a template, he copied it to his hard drive, imposed the job, sent the files to the Brisque, then Trendsetter, his trim marks ended up at .5. I used that very same template today, sent a job and my trim marks were at .625 (where they were set to be). There seems to be no rhyme or reason for his jobs being 1/8" off, sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. We have double checked the default.cfg files, to make sure they are set up the same. Both of us are using ver 5.2.2 and using Brisque Impose to a Trendsetter. We didn't have this problem when we were using a Dolev, however we were using a lower version of preps then too. This issue came up when we upgraded. We thought it was only when we used older templates, from pre-Trendsetter days, but that proved to be wrong. The really odd thing is, the job previews and measures right in preps and on the Brisque. Any body ever experienced anything like this? Oh, still running version 4.x on the Brisque.

Rob Robinson
10-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Are the two machines using Preps as a floating license? Are both copies looking to the same folder for templates and marks?

If not, make sure both machines have the same exact files in the 'Marks' folder, the one Preps looks at to apply side-guides, color bars, etc. If the marks are different it could cause a set back issue.

10-30-2007, 05:08 PM
No to both the first questions. Just checked - marks are the same in both folders.

Rob Robinson
10-30-2007, 05:44 PM
You may want to delete all the marks from your co-worker's folder, then copy the known good marks from your folder to his and test it. There may be a modified mark with the same name or a mark buried in another directory.

Leading you down this road because we had the same setback problem and it was related to the marks. Never could track it down completely so we set up unique offset plating templates at the Brisque.

10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
We thought we were losing our minds and were afraid to mention it. I have the same issue, but with just one plate size. I eliminated every possibility I could think of and we still occassionally get it. It does not happen all the time and have learned to live with it since we always have enough paper around the edges.

10-30-2007, 06:23 PM
We keep all of our marks, devices, and templates on a network drive and have both Preps station pointing to that location for each. Never seen this problem with this setup.

10-31-2007, 04:30 AM
I can't imagine how different contents in the Marks folders could cause this.

How about the possibility that different non tiling border settings in the Fitting and Tiling options are involved in the problem? Someone may have changed that for proofing to a laser printer, and not set it back. You can test this without wasting plate material by printing to postscript files with the same ppd that had produced the problem and distilling to view the resulting pdfs in Acrobat. Use a .5 and .625 non tiling border. Turn the rulers on and use guides to see if the same content item is set back from the lead edge by .125 inch.

Al Ferrari

10-31-2007, 01:05 PM
It was mentioned earlier, but no answer given are each workstation working off the same Printers folder? [Preferences/Folders]

I would offer that if the workstation that is generating the acceptable results .625" setback, if the ENTIRE Printers folder is copied to a server drive. Then on the workstation that is NOT getting the correct setback, go into Preps/Preferences/Folder and tell it where this Printers folder can be found.

Test that, I think this is your solution.

10-31-2007, 01:59 PM

Is it your idea that the two machines are not really using the exact same ppd, and that these two ppds have different punch distances? If so, that can be checked on each machine by going to Device Setup > Device Configuration and noting the punch parameters reported there for each one.

Al Ferrari