PDA

View Full Version : Press sheet edge to punch center

mike5
11-07-2007, 01:16 PM
I need to change the default distance from 1.5 inches to 0 inches.

I fixed this problem once before with an older version of Preps. The only Forum Thread I could locate contains the information I used the last time.

We recently upgraded to Prinergy with a Preps 2 User Floating License.

The default.cfg file doesn't contain any settings other than for Acrobat. I found another file called PrepsPrinergy.cfg - it also doesn't appear to contain the setting that I want to change.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

sequoyah
11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Have you tried editing the ppx for your output device?

Edit: In the ppx you need to change the punch coordinates for each media size. Also, after saving the edited ppx, you must restart Preps in order for the changes to take effect.

Al Ferrari

mike5
11-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks Al, but I don't know what a "ppx" file is.

I did a search in the AraxiPreps folder and found several files with that suffix, but none that had the same name as my output device. Would it have a ppx file that was named differently?

Mike

sequoyah
11-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Mike,

A ppx is an extension file for a specific device ppd. In my Preps installation I have one for my SelectSet 7000.ppd in Preps folder>Printers>PPD in OS X mac. It contains user modifications for the ppd that Preps uses when it uses the ppd. They do it this way because the ppd is proprietary and cannot be legally modified.

I think that there is one for every device in that location. If there is not one for your device, perhaps you can get it from tech support.

But I think that you can also achieve the punch coordinate change you want by using the "Punch" button in the Device configuration dialog. This needs to be done for each sheet size as needed.

Al Ferrari

mike5
11-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I'll look at the punch dialog. We only use 1 sheet size - the dimensions of our plate - so if this works, then problem solved...

Mike

chrisr
11-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Did you edit the default.cfg and PrepsPrinergy.cfg files in the Preps/Profiles folder on your mac or the one on the AraxiPreps volume? I think I had to edit them in both places, it's been a while so I don't remember exactly how I figured it out. I think one of them is normally a lot shorter than the other and I copied the extra values from the longer one. You might have to play with it a bit to get it to work for you but what you want is definitely possible since it worked here. You can also set the default binding style among other things. Just be sure to save a backup of the original default.cfg and PrepsPrinergy.cfg files in case you mess up.

Hope that helps a little.
Chris

sequoyah
11-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Mike,

Reviewing this thread, I see that in the original post you state: "We recently upgraded to Prinergy with a Preps 2 User Floating License."

IOW, you recently spent money with these folks. So don't be shy about asking tech support to help you with this issue.

Al Ferrari

mike5
11-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks Chris and Al,

Chris,

I wasn't aware of having multiple default.cfg files. I'll look at that.

Al,

The upgrade was very recent, and as such we're not in the system yet - which makes getting formal support problematic, but I always get valuable insite, real world information and guidance via this user group - from the trenches, as it were...

Thanks to all...

Mike

mike5
11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Finally got it fixed after a call to the RC. They advised me to edit the PrinergyPreps.cfg.template file. Since what I needed to change wasn't there, they had me duplicate this file, then copy and paste the required command from a known correct .cfg file.

_AMERICAN_PRESS_SHEET_EDGE_TO_PUNCH_CENTER:0.00

then save, relaunch Preps from within Workshop... Problem solved.

Mike

sequoyah
11-20-2007, 03:06 AM
An alternative to re launching Preps is to simply load a different profile, and then load the default profile again.

But more interesting is the revelation that an "older" .cfg file can be modernised by adding appropriate lines from a more recent .cfg file.

Al Ferrari