PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Quark 7 and the absence of DeviceN

bruen
11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
We've traditionally used the setting "DeviceN" in the output section of Quark 6's print dialog box when making postscript files that ultimately ended up as PDFs in our Prinergy workflow.

Now that DeviceN is gone from Quark 7's options, should we be going with "As Is" or "Composite CMYK and Spot"?

nhloewen
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
"Composite CMYK and Spot" is the same as DeviceN, least in our testing it has been.

YPS
02-26-2008, 09:50 PM
We use "As Is" always and it works fine.

vinnyfalcone
02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
DeviceN is there, Quark has just moved it. Go under Edit>Color Setups>Output.
There you'll find where to edit the color setups in the output (print & PDF) dialog.
CMYK and Spot works because it has DeviceN as the color model. This is necessary for fun stuff like colorized tiffs and Quark drop shadows on a background.
I created a custom output that is identical to CMYK and Spot except I use U.S. Sheetfed Coated v2 for the profiled output produces better results than the Quark Generic CMYK profile.

edwarde
02-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Just curious,
With Prinergy do you still have to process Quark files as DeviceN or cmyk w/spots in order for Prinergy to process the colrized tiffs, spot colors ect...ect...correctly ?

vinnyfalcone
02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
As noted in my previous post, yes. If you examine the color output setup, CMYK and Spot is DeviceN.