PDA

View Full Version : Prinergy discussion

baken
11-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I am new to the site and not yet a GUA member but will be interested to do so if that is what it takes to get involved in the Prinergy discussion. Have a couple of questions, but would like to read what others have written first in hopes that my answer awaits me. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks much!

tclifford
11-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Hello...the first tool I would learn to use is the search function on the many bar above the posts. It allows you to fine tune what you are looking for. Many kodak folk troll the forums so your answer may not be as far away as you think. Always, you can IM me for more help!

tc

baken
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM
OK then,

Kodak guys or those of you in the know, I am using mac OS X 10.4.10, Prinergy version 3.1.0.2.67 and Illustrator CS3 13.0.1.

We refine PDF's in some instances from Illustrator using "save as" Acrobat PDF instead of the .ps route. I've tried all the different compatibilities, (PDF 1.3, 1.4...). If I go the save as PDF route, I loose all my info that is in the pasteboard more than .125" away from trim even though I specify .5" in the bleed settings. The .ps route works as expected, retaining whatever bleed amount I specify. This is annoying as we place ID's and color bars outside the trim and now they are gone. Anyone seen this yet. Better yet, any ideas to remedy? It's kind of like an old Quark problem some of you may remember. If I make the elements touch the page inside the trim, it will work, but I would think it hasn't "reverted" to this, has it?

Thanks
Cropped and confused!

rob.morgan
11-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Yes, I believe that objects that are completely outside of the document trim are excluded from the Illustrator PDF. One way around this that seems to work is to select all of your marks that are outside the trim and paste them into a new document. Save that as a PDF and then place that marks PDF as a linked file behind all of your artwork. As long as the marks PDF's bounding box is inside the trim, all of the contents shows up.

Perhaps a better option if your marks are all at either the top or bottom of the page is to place a sheet mark into your output process template. You could then set it up so that it gets filled in with Prinergy variable marks each time you make a proof.

See your Workshop online help for the full list of variable marks that you use in your marks file.

Cheers,
Rob