PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Preps find files (sometimes)?

risca2
12-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Each of our jobs is saved to it's own folder, named by the Job name, date and Work Ticket No.
When a job comes up for a repeat print run the folder name then changes as the date and work ticket no. changes.
Sometimes Preps still finds the linked files without a problem but other times it fails to do so and I have to navigate to them for Preps.
I can't work out why sometimes it can and sometimes it can't. There seems to be no logic in this.
Preps 5.2 Mac OS 10.4.11

edwarde
12-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Templates can not simply be renamed. They must always be saved as or you can not always see them. Something Kodak should definately fix.

risca2
12-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks Edwarde for your input, but I should clarify.
The files I was referring to are the postscript and pdfs that are brought into Preps jobs.

ssutton
12-12-2007, 11:45 PM
I guess my only experience with this situation has to do with when I retrieve a job from an archive tape. As you say, a repeat job. What I think it is is that the Preps job remembers the path for all of the required files and if they aren't in exactly that path location Preps can't find them automatically. For example, we organize our jobs by month so all November jobs are in a November folder. Let's say I have archived November and now it is July of the next year. I retrieve the old job into the "July" folder but the Preps job still has the Path to the "November" folder written into it. So it can't find the files. The only easy solution I found was to copy the job to my workstation's desktop and then open the Preps job. It usually finds all the linked files just fine-go figure. In fact, I can then move the updated and saved job from my desktop to the server and the Preps job still opens okay. Hope some of this helps.

Steven Sutton

risca2
12-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks for your help Steve