PDA

View Full Version : Previewing PDFs on Preps 5.x

matt2
02-15-2006, 06:49 PM
I am having a heck of a time previewing PDFs in Preps. I am trying to use a PDF->PDF workflow but am unable to preview pages or sigs using this workflow. If I use a mixed mode where everything gets converted to PS (using Acrobat 7.0.5) then it's fine. PostScript and EPS aren't a problem. I have tried using Preps Pro 5.0, 5.15 and 5.2 beta with no luck on Windows XP SP2 or Mac OS X 10.4.4.

Thank you,

roland.koreman
02-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Acrobat 7 has been updated since the Plug-in was created for Preps 5.1. Preps 5.2 (available in April) includes the updates (7.0.5). In the mean time, you will have to use internal converter or Acrobat 6.

matt2
02-15-2006, 07:52 PM
So I cannot use PDF->PDF workflow and preview in Preps?

I really don't want to use the mixed mode or PostScript workflow. It would be far more efficient to stick with a all PDF based workflow since that is what I have constructed with Prinergy v3 and everything else.

dnapier
02-15-2006, 08:16 PM
This may be better suited to a wish list forum, however...
The preview function, both page and signature in Preps has always been much slower on the Mac than on Windows machines. I never understood the reason for this. It is my understanding that Mac OSX used the pdf format for screen image presentation, so why does Preps not take advantage of that? Why translate my PDF files to postscript for previewing in Preps. Is this not convoluted.

roland.koreman
02-15-2006, 08:24 PM
You can still use a PDF workflow but Preps 5.1 was never qualified to work with Acrobat 7.0.5, however, Acrobat 6 should work fine.
Preps 5.2 will no longer convert the PDF to PS for preview, so the preview is at least 3-4 times faster and clearer.

dnapier
02-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Preps 5.2 will no longer convert the PDF to PS for preview, so the preview is at least 3-4 times faster and clearer.
That's terrific news Roland! Thanks-
but doesn't explain why preview is so much faster on the PeeCee side?? Just a poor port from windows to mac?