PDA

View Full Version : Preps Double Parallel Problem

Natalie
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
When we do a preps job which is going to be saddle stitched we have to make it one complete template. Meaning if it is a 96 page job, rather than being able to make it 6-16 page sigs or 3-32pg sigs we have to make one template for 96 pages. So, for instance when we would output the job the "A" and "B" plate would be form one and the "C" and "D" plate would be form 2. etc......

ssutton
01-02-2008, 08:32 PM
When we do a preps job which is going to be saddle stitched we have to make it one complete template. Meaning if it is a 96 page job, rather than being able to make it 6-16 page sigs or 3-32pg sigs we have to make one template for 96 pages. So, for instance when we would output the job the "A" and "B" plate would be form one and the "C" and "D" plate would be form 2. etc......

Natalie,

You aren't real clear as to why you have to do a single 'complete' template instead of a 16 page template that you can repeat 6 times but I am guessing it has to do with getting the page numbers to fall correctly. Am I close? Actually, I guess it doesn't really matter. I just made up a 32 page double parallel job and used a 16 page template (twice) and everything seems to have gone like I wanted it to. Perhaps if you would be more specific as to your problem I could help.

I don't know about you but we are a web print shop so perhaps the requirements for the folding of a double parallel job are different for us than they would be for you. It might also help if you could describe what a double parallel job is for you.

Steven Sutton

jcannon
01-03-2008, 08:10 AM
We have to do the same thing if we want it to come off the press as one section. If we do it as 6 16's we will get 6 sigs. The first being pages 1-8 and 89-96, the second being 9-16 and 81-88 and so on. These individual sections would then need to be stitched together. A single 96 pager would come off the press as one section folded and ready to ship. (our max though for one section is 80 pages) You actually might be able to get it to work if you rearrange the run list so the pages are not in numerical order. You would need to arrange the run list order so the pages come out the same as they would for a single 96 page template. Good luck figuring that one out. :)

ssirvent
01-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Natalie,
Did you try setting template as Perfector instead of saddle&stitched? I remember a similar problem we solved this way. Even if you need to compensate pages, you will not have any problem. The only thing you must have in mind is the point of reference for the compensation for each sig but if you are going straight, it'll be no problem at all. Where are you doing the rip process after preps?

Good luck!

prepper
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
I would like to know if there's a solution to this problem also, we print double parallel and have made up templates for our books in 8pg increments so we can do them in one job. The problem is in the page numbering, if we print 2 different books up, double parallel, saddle-stitched, it won't automatically select the signatures and have the pages come out in the right order so prior to making templates for each page count we did each sig as a separate job but had to have a numbered folding dummy of what order to place the pages in the run list.

Always dreamed of having Preps do double parallel automatically someday, don't know if its a possibility though? Especially wanting to print 2 different books?

Let me know if there's a solution....
Thanks,
Terry

Natalie
01-03-2008, 08:16 PM
We are web printers, also. I have attatched sample templates to show you what I'm talking about. We only have this issue for our saddle-stitched books. The Perfect bound double parallel templates work out correctly. Thanks for all input!!

jamie.stotz
01-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I made a template like the one in your top picture, added it twice to a job, and the preview looked like your lower picture. I was using Preps Pro with sections, but as long as the sigs are in consecutive order, I think it would work without sections.

What am I missing?

Jamie

Natalie
01-04-2008, 01:58 PM
We use Preps 5.1.2, perhaps that is our problem.

rs-stannek
01-10-2008, 07:04 PM

It only works with a Preps X.X Pro Version. Either you don't have the a Pro Version or you don't know to handle sections. Take a look at the manual, because for me it's too hard to explain how to handle sections.

ssutton
01-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Natalie,

I don't think the problem is Preps 5.1.2 because we use that version and I can make this work just fine. I built a template like the one you showed (okay, our pages are in different places but the concept is the same), made myself a 32 page PDF and did it as two 16 page signatures. Everything seemed to work just fine. I am attaching a PDF I made out of Preps. I don't have any identifying text on the flats but believe me page 1 is Sig 1 Flat A and Page 3 is Sig 2 Flat A. One thought I had while making my template was I wondered if you were telling Preps that you were making a Saddle Stitched template? If not, Preps wouldn't know to number it correctly.

Steven

P.S. - I remember years ago (too many years!) how my boss explained to me that what you are saying is a 32 page sig (I called it a 32 page sig as well) was really just a 16 page sig. There happened to be 32 pages because you are running the 16 page sig 2-up but still it was only a 16 page book. As usual,<grin> he was right.

dwyers
01-15-2008, 04:37 AM
It certainly looks like preps is unable to cope with this format without editing the page order later.

We have a similar issue when we try to use the 'multi section' option combined with a two up section - preps cant tell the difference and stuffs it up.

Dennis.

Mark Lewinger
01-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Not sure why, we do it all the time we are also a web shop & just add sigs for DP folds.

epp3
01-18-2008, 05:08 PM
See if the attached pdf will help you understand how to set up 1 template of 32 pages to be imported 3 times. I'm using Preps Plus for Evo 5.3

--
Brett Boyer
EPP Manager
Standard Offset Printing
Reading, PA

prepper
02-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I am having trouble with this also. The majority of our work is all books of the same format and same size. So we try to match up the books if we can. We run them double parallel on our web press. Once the signature is printed and folded one book is on the top of the sig and a different one on the bottom. Our template works fine as long as you only need one signature. The problem is when we need 2 signatures and 2 different books on these signatures. For example right now we have 2 64pg books and we need to match them together. If I put both files in the job and put pg1-64 from book 1 and then pg1-64 from book 2 right after that, select the template I want to use and add the signatures I want to use it does not put the pages in the right order after the first 32 pgs. The work around that I have been using is to make a seperate job for each signature and only place the pages in the run list that are need for that particular signature. I have tried multiple ways and making a template with sections to get this to work and ahve not been able to yet. I am attaching a screen shot of our 32pg signature. It is the one that we would use to lay out the 2 books above ( I know in reality it is a 64 pg siganture its just labeled as a 32 here). I will also attach a pdf of a sample job done with this signature so that you can see the order of the pages when done with 2 of these signatures and a mock up of the template to see how preps renumbered the pages. In these sample jobs book 1 is a seperate file from book 2. Any help in this matter would be appreciated and any suggestions on a different way to number the template to get it to work would be appreciated. I would love to be able to have one templete for all of these books. Thanks