PDA

View Full Version : Preps 4 to 5 Upgrade

jhunsel
01-02-2008, 09:11 PM
We recently upgraded from G5s to Mac Pros and are in the process of upgrading Preps 4 to 5. We will be upgrading to the floating license for 3 concurrent users.

Can I use the version 5 install that installs with Workshop or should I reinstall?

Is the Migration Tool still available?

The Migration Tool may work with Macs already using version 4 (we are keeping 1 G5 that already has Preps 4 installed), but what is the best way to get the version 5 settings to all of the Mac Pros? (We have ARD, if it helps).

Any other quirks we need to know about? Thanks.

edwarde
01-03-2008, 01:58 PM
For what it's worth, I have always had better luck doing an install without the migration.

mark3
02-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Is there a big improvement from version 4 to 5?

vinnyfalcone
02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
First of all, if you're using preps in multiple locations, your preps data(marks, templates, etc should already be located in a central directory. Preps integration in Prinergy involves a central volume "Araxi Preps" for this purpose. When you run Workshop installer, it will ask you to install Preps locally. Unless you are experimenting with ganging in Preps 5.3, just use the preps that this installer generates. Be sure to point Prinergy to Preps via the congifure imposition application function. Remember to identify the correct version there(Plus, Pro, Floating, etc.). Once installed you can copy all your templates and marks to araxi preps. Don't worry about printers in Preps with Prinergy. Use press sheet size and use Prinergy for the output device stuff.

Preps 5 is a much better app over version 4. It's been so long I can't remember all the functional improvements, but smart marks stands out as the biggest reason to upgrade.
Before you dive into several licences of preps, however, look into Lithotechnics Metrix. There are some discussions here on this forum. It is a much better way to impose and works well with Prinergy.

Ciao

digital@sig-1.com
02-19-2008, 10:32 PM
IMHO Preps 5.3 kicks a$$ over Preps 4. For starters, it is exclusive to an OS X environment - bye bye OS 9. It's incredibly more stable than v4 - bye bye random crashes. It handles native (fat) .pdfs much better than v4. Marks are more reliable, predictable and more editable in the new version as well. Plus, if you use .jdf or plan to use .jdf it has that feature as well.
________
Honda SH150i (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_SH150i)

jhunsel
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Our reasons for upgrading included OS X-native applications since we were upgrading to Mac Pros (no Classic), and the floating license which allowed us to eliminate dedicated Preps workstations.

allan.larson
02-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Part of the Preps 5.3 Pro Installer includes Preps Ganging, an amazing application for creating templates and gang up work licketysplit fast and it too is native OSX written. Drag and drop PDFs into it and you can step and repeat the artwork interactively, snapping to cut lines automatically. It's actually the most fun I have had in any Preps environment. Drag and drop Smart Marks, unlock them and nudge pages, marks etc.
http://graphics1.kodak.com/us/eNewsletters/07/08/0708preps.htm

Cheers,
Allan Larson