PDA

View Full Version : colorized TIFF's

prepress9
02-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Back in Quark 4 and 5 there was a Creo Launchpad XT, a Creo Print XT and a Creo Spot Colors XT. Within these there was a setting to automatically recognize spot colorized TIFF's within the Quark document. I'm now running Quark 6 and don't have this option. How are people handling spot colorized TIFF's in Quark 6? I'm desperate, I get them ALL the time.

Thanks in advance.

art2
02-16-2006, 08:57 PM
pre-separate your colors in quark.

mac4
02-17-2006, 02:04 PM
There is an extension--I have seen it in the help forums but have never been able to download it because I don't have a service contract.

I tried to look up the Bulletin number, but I can't seem to find it in the knowledgebase.

rgoodman
02-17-2006, 07:36 PM
There is an extension--I have seen it in the help forums but have never been able to download it because I don't have a service contract.

I tried to look up the Bulletin number, but I can't seem to find it in the knowledgebase.

Would that be the "Creo APR Print XT" or is that an extension loaded with Darwin?

rgoodman
02-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Back in Quark 4 and 5 there was a Creo Launchpad XT, a Creo Print XT and a Creo Spot Colors XT. Within these there was a setting to automatically recognize spot colorized TIFF's within the Quark document. I'm now running Quark 6 and don't have this option. How are people handling spot colorized TIFF's in Quark 6? I'm desperate, I get them ALL the time.

Thanks in advance.

Are you using OPI and creating "thin" postscript to refine or are you writing "fat" postscript with OPI?

I find the colorized TIFFs cause less problems when using OPI

mike1
02-18-2006, 01:57 PM
The colorized tiff xtension is no longer required for Quark 6 - but make sure you select DeviceN for output in Quark's print dialog.

mac4
02-18-2006, 02:28 PM
When making postscript files to distill for Acrobat--should I also be using DeviceN?

mike1
02-19-2006, 08:34 AM
If you need objects using DeviceN colourspace to separate as spot colours.
You should use DeviceN.

If DeviceN is not used, you can use "as is" or if you intend the PDF to be used only for CMYK output, you can use CMYK.

We use DeviceN for everything out of Quark 6.x and have had no problems, although some users on these forums have reported problems with retaining bllack overprint settings.

mpainter
02-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Just download the SpotColorXT.xnt from Creo's web site, or run presep.

dpcurry
02-21-2006, 06:33 PM
We use DeviceN for everything out of Quark 6.x and have had no problems, although some users on these forums have reported problems with retaining bllack overprint settings.

Maintaining black overprint can be remedied by using a PPD other than the PSM PPD. I use Acrobat Distiller as my PPD and black overprints as desired.

prepress9
03-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Mike1,
You just saved me a LOT of headaches! Thank you very much, choosing "DeviceN" from Quark works great. Even when I run that postscript file through Preps.

What is DeviceN?

art2
03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
FYI, I've had some problems with "deviceN" dropping type in version 7.1 using the psm ppd. On a job I ripped the other day the colorized tiff's showed up properly, but it dropped all but the first letter of each paragraph!

mike1
03-02-2006, 11:08 PM
You just saved me a LOT of headaches! Thank you very much, choosing "DeviceN" from Quark works great. Even when I run that postscript file through Preps.

What is DeviceN?

PostScript 3 and PDF 1.3 introduced the DeviceN color space which allows arbitrary combinations of color channels for composite printing. Such color channel combinations include Hexachrome six channel color system, or CMYK plus two spot colors, or Black plus one spot color. Without the DeviceN color space, images with such channel combinations cannot be represented in composite PostScript and PDF, they can be approximated with CMYK colors only. DeviceN color spaces can be used both for composite printing and for in-RIP seaparations.