View Full Version : FireWire driver from Kodak for OS X Leopard?

Kurt Lang
02-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Has anyone heard if Kodak is working on an update to the FireWire driver so the oXYgen Scan software will work with OS X 10.5 Leopard?

Kurt Lang
09-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Just wanted everyone to know that oXYgen scan now works in OS X Leopard on an Intel based Mac. Here's what I found out from one of Kodak's reps.

The original plan was to drop the old Eversmart line completely and develop a new iQsmart scanner that was another step above the iQsmart3 so they'd have a scanner with the same D-Max and optical resolution as the Supreme II. Shops that owned the very expensive Supremes were more than just a little irritated to be told their scanner was going to be orphaned to PowerPC and an OS no higher than 10.4.x. Sales reps for Kodak weren't too happy about losing the prospect of selling the Supreme II, either.

So Kodak backpedalled a bit and said that the software would indeed be updated to support the Supreme II, Supreme, Select II and Select. They didn't say whether or not a new iQsmart scanner was still going to come along.

While the software does support the Select models, what Kodak did do was drop the Select scanner from production. So the Eversmart Supreme II is the only scanner still available from the older line, along with the iQsmart scanners. Once the current inventory of Select II scanners is sold out, there won't be any more.

We purchased the new 2.6.3 Mac OS X oXYgen Scan software. As advertised, it works with Leopard, 10.5.x on an Intel based Mac. We can now finally sell off our last G5 while it's still worth a decent amount of money. PowerPC is completely obsolete as far as Apple is concerned. So the sooner we could move the last of our PPC computers out, the better.

It seems odd that the boxes for the new software only mention the Eversmart Supreme and Select scanners. I would think it would be for both those and the iQsmart line, but I have no way to test it. What you actually receive (besides the ever present package of blank user defined masks), is 2.6.0 and 2.6.3.

The 2.6.0 disk is PowerPC only for OS X 10.3.x or 10.4.x. It also comes with the Scientific research version, 2.5.5. I imagine this software is included just in case you have to use an older Mac in an emergency.

The 2.6.3 software is only for Intel based Macs, which tells me that 2.6.0 is the last version you'll see for PowerPC Macs. 2.6.3 works with either the Mac Pro, which uses Xeon CPUs, or any of the lower model line Intel Macs which use the Core Duo CPU. This also comes with the Scientific research software, 2.6.3.

Hope this information helps.

Kurt Lang
11-18-2008, 06:43 PM
I need to correct a bit of information above. 2.6.3 does NOT come with anything else. You get the 2.6.3 software, that's it. I was mixing up disk boxes I had here and what came with what.

Sorry for the confusion.

02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
If I'm a 2.5.5 user can I get 2.6 for free?

I can't see it for download on eCentral?

Kurt Lang
02-28-2012, 12:26 PM
As far as I know, nowhere. Kodak may be in bankruptcy proceedings, but they do still own the rights to the scanner line and its related software and parts.

2.6.4 is the latest version and is for OS X, 10.6.x Snow Leopard only. Your Mac must be capable of booting in 32 bit mode since the FireWire driver and GCAR sub application are Intel 32 bit with no 64 bit compatibility.

In order to obtain 2.6.x of oXYgen Scan, you'll have to purchase it from Kodak, if they even have any copies on hand. The parts number is 1-800-472-2727. Have your scanner's serial number on hand. They won't sell you anything without proof that you actually own the device you're ordering supplies for.