PDA

View Full Version : What controls which forums I see?

lmacdonald
01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Members are registered to a view by GUA membership level, segment and region.

A couple of examples:

If I am a Full GUA Member who is a Commercial and Packaging Printer in the United States – I will see all public forums, all members only Commercial & Packaging forums and the local GUA news for my region.

If I am a Limited GUA Member who owns a Kodak Approval – I will see all public forums, the proofing and color forum, and the local GUA news for my region.

If I am a Software only GUA Member who owns Preps – I will see all public forums, and the local GUA news for my region.

rusticman
08-31-2006, 10:44 PM
I am a commercial printer but cannot gain full acess.

How can i do this?
________
volcano vaporizer review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)

lmacdonald
09-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Hi There,

All that means is that I don't have enough information to validate your Kodak systems - please send me an email directly with the Kodak systems you are using and your site details and I will update your access...

Best regards,
Lesley

rusticman
09-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Hello?

I could not email you due to my ridiculously limited access.

I have private messaged you with my site details although that info is also in my profile to begin with. If you would have just looked up the name of my company which has been in my info from the start, this would have been done months ago.

My Company has had contracts with kodak on a large number of items for many years now. I don't understand why this is such a hassle.

What is the point of limiting the access to this information anyway? You are not losing money by giving help to smaller businesses. If they need help with a kodak product, that means they are already paying kodak large sums of money to have the equipment in the fisrt place.
________
BMW in motorsport history (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_in_motorsport)

lmacdonald
09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi Rusticman,

I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated with this process - I'm hoping I can help you with it.

The GUA is an independant organization - it is not Kodak. These discussion forums belong to the GUA and not to Kodak. So other accounts you may have with Kodak do not translate automatically to the GUA website or the GUA discussion forums.

The limits on access are set by the GUA board - which is an elected board made up of 9 customers and 2 Kodak reps. The board feels that in order to preserve the excellent technical exchange - and to prevent dilution and marketing from creeping into this resource that they want to know who they are speaking with.

I administer services on behalf of the GUA - this arrangement is so that the GUA does not have to charge people to belong, as Kodak absorbs the cost of the administration.

In order to participate on the discussion forums - you must be a GUA member - I did actually check your site against our member records and you are not a GUA member - which means that your access was automatically limited.

To help you - I will intervene in the process, validate your Kodak systems against the Kodak install base, register you as a member of the GUA and change the access on your account.

If you have any trouble with your updated access you can reach me at Lesley.MacDonald@Kodak.com

Best regards,
Lesley

rusticman
09-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all your efforts. They are much appreciated.
Now I'm off to lurk.
:o

[edit]
About the membership with GUA/CUA (can we get that name thing straight on the website?:confused:)

I did not realize my membership with GUA was not active as you say. It is strange because I have been able to log on the the GUA site for a while now + see my profile. If there is some further work to do to become an "Actual" member, it is not clear. Is this all word of mouth stuff? Is is just expected of people to know since everybody who cares at all has apparently been in printing for about 20 years or more?

Just to set the record straight, today I submitted a request to transfer my creo.com account info to be a GUA member for about the 3rd time with no hope of getting a response or change in status. The next screen as always tells me "You have applied for CUA membership."
[rant engage]
Well that's nice but i thought i was on the GUA website- not CUA. Rich Dunklee's quote on the front of the site is the clearest explanation for this so far, except that he is is talking about neither the GUA or the CUA... ...but the UA... ooh, that sounds special, i want that one instead.
________
silver surfer review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

tclifford
09-09-2006, 03:31 AM
Rusticman-

not getting the answers you want in a timely mannor - please call me

920-751-7405 and lets make this happen! :)

thomas

lmacdonald
09-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi Rusticman,

I apologize for any confusion you may have experienced on the web. It is true that there are still several inconsistencies in the way the organization is described on the web - we are in the process of correcting the most problematic ones. (ie. Changing all of the confirmation messages to make them clearer)

There is a project in the coming months to wholly redesign the web site - but we have been constrained in that our current site was built to integrate and align with the ex-creo eCentral support portal. The decisions inside Kodak around technology platforms, the web and CRM in general have been slow in coming - as you might understand with 7 companies coming together - there are a lot of decision with dependancies to be made :) We understand that the web is your main interface to this organization - and we want to make it easier and more intuitive to navigate around it - and to seamlessly find the information you need. It is a priority for me - and I am actively working with the Kodak groups involved to move the project forward.

The reference to the User Association as a generic group was made as we were working with Kodak legal on an acceptable name for the organization.

THe GUA board have a meeting coming up at Graph Expo - and I will be sure to raise your concerns with them (as you can see by Tom's response - our President is already engaged in helping improve services to members).

Best regards,
Lesley