PDA

View Full Version : Good-by Iris 42W

ThePorge
02-19-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm assuming those of us using the Iris proofer for impositions has heard by now that Kodak is ceasing support and sale of consumables. I'm just curious as to what everyone else is using for their imposition proofs and how they like what they are using. Any reports would be appreciated.

tclifford
02-19-2008, 07:29 PM
We use Epson 9800 - tc

JElwart
02-19-2008, 07:55 PM
We had a the old die hard Iris 43 wide. It worked great and was very realiable. We replaced it with a Spin jet and now we have a Preproofer with 2 Epson 9800's.

cfrancom
02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
We just purchased the Epson 9880 with Kodak's media alignment guide, but are having problems with consistent backup. Sometimes it's right on; sometimes it's up to 1/8" off by the tail of the sheet. What are you doing to get good front to back backup?

BTW, does the company "SciTran" sound familiar?

tclifford
02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Craig... wow long time no speak. yes it does... WOW... Amazing. Are you coming to the GUA conference in Vegas?

We are not using the 9800 for backed up proofs. If we need them to be backed up we are glue pasting them together... Lame but our solution as we rarely do backed up proofs... We use VPS to verify backing up normally.

WOW...

tc

cfrancom
02-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately, I won't be in Vegas, but we'll have to try to meet sometime. I may be at Graph Expo this year.

ThePorge
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
We just purchased the Epson 9880 with Kodak's media alignment guide, but are having problems with consistent backup. Sometimes it's right on; sometimes it's up to 1/8" off by the tail of the sheet. What are you doing to get good front to back backup?

BTW, does the company "SciTran" sound familiar?

Now see, when I was talking to the sales rep and he was 'splan'n to me how the 9880 did backed-up impos whilst I was looking over the machine I was thinking that sounds a bit iffy.
Tks for the info

edwarde
02-28-2008, 05:35 PM
I am a little concerned with the 9880 backup problems. We are looking at getting 2 of these but I see people are having problems with backup. What are the other Kodak direct drive soluttions ?

Rob Robinson
02-28-2008, 05:47 PM
We use 9600, 7600 machines and achieve consistent, accurate backup for our bluelines. If the backup is off it's not by much, a 16th inch at the most. It can be done!

cfrancom
02-28-2008, 07:37 PM
We use 9600, 7600 machines and achieve consistent, accurate backup for our bluelines. If the backup is off it's not by much, a 16th inch at the most. It can be done!

What paper do you use and what procedures do you do to make sure you get consistent backup?

Rob Robinson
02-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Cougar Opaque 70# 25"x30" (for 9600)
Feed first side, align bottom and right paper edge with 'guide holes'
Flip sheet for backup, align paper the same way as first side

I've heard this particular machine (Epson 9600) is not intended to print two sides accurately but we've been lucky I guess.

paulh
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
We had a the old die hard Iris 43 wide. It worked great and was very realiable. We replaced it with a Spin jet and now we have a Preproofer with 2 Epson 9800's.

How do you like them?
I've heard good things about the Spinjet, not so good about the Preproofer.
I'm really concerned about the support on the Spinjet.

I almost missed this thread because it's on the 42W, and I have a 43W. ;-)

Looking for feedback on more double-sided proofers.

Also, I guess, more on the Media Guide backup problems.

Thanks.

cfrancom
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Cougar Opaque 70# 25"x30" (for 9600)
Feed first side, align bottom and right paper edge with 'guide holes'
Flip sheet for backup, align paper the same way as first side

I've heard this particular machine (Epson 9600) is not intended to print two sides accurately but we've been lucky I guess.

Do you cut the paper before printing it or somehow make it square?

Rob Robinson
03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Do you cut the paper before printing it or somehow make it square?
We do cut the paper specifically for this purpose, program measurement is 29.969" to get 30" (compensation for cutter inaccuracy).

JElwart
03-10-2008, 05:43 PM
We did like the SpinJet until the HP5500 printer it was connected to went down and the part took 4 weeks to get. Then within six months the same part broke again and the part was back ordered again. It was a plastic hook like part in the tensioner that trigged the head to lift when going back to the home position (We had the Tech. order us 2 spares). Back then our trusty 43wide was our backup. Also the spinjet part would tend to Jam up when turning the paper towards the end of a roll.

We like the preproofer do to that it uses Epson 9800 printers and it cuts the paper then slides down to the next printer. This means you have seperate printers for each side verses one printer doing both sides. It is approx. 3x faster for us.

ThePorge
03-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Does anybody have the ImpoProof 8000 ?
http://www.hyphen.com.au/pages/impoproof.html
I've heard good things, but from only one source.

ThePorge
03-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I almost missed this thread because it's on the 42W, and I have a 43W. ;-)

Gaddzooks, my brain had left the buildiing!

earnaez
03-26-2008, 05:16 PM
We have one, it is a great worker. Busy all the time.
It is touchy to get used to it in the beggining but once you keeps yours hands off from it, it works great.

Just pick up your proofs, fairly fast.

Registration is good except for the occasional job that has an extreme high coverage that can make the paper distort a bit.

Getting a good double-sided paper that can absorb ink decently will take a little time to figure out.

It is used for content proofing only, not color, although we do profile it to get the ink levels down and produce a reasonable representation.

Thinking about a second one because we are retiring the 43wides (we had six of them before we had the ImproProof, we plan on retiring the remaing two).

Any one have opinions on Epson Preproofer?

rusticman
04-02-2008, 06:31 PM
can someone please tell me how to do the power clean on a 43wide?

thanks
________
buy silver surfer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

edwarde
04-02-2008, 06:59 PM
1) Turn off machine
2) Turn on machine holding down the top 3 buttons on the right side
3) Menu once
4) Media once
5) Menu twice (headrank)
6) Media nine times (fill start)
7) Media once.

Empty waste ink tank
Enter up value to yes and hit enter (bottom right)
Confirm Yes value up again (bottom right)

ED

rusticman
04-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks!
you are a prepress god.

its so intuitive, we should have figured that out ourselves.. ;)
________
vaporizer wiki (http://vaporizerwiki.com)