View Full Version : Font Problem with Quark & MM & OTF

02-22-2008, 06:42 PM
I've noticed that MM and OTF fonts seem to work poorly in Quark 7 or 6.5, 6, when used together in conjunction with Suitcase 11. On Mac OS 10.4.10 or earlier. (in particular MyriadMM and Bickham ScriptMM with OTF companions.)

Quark will crash as I try to postscript. I have one machine that seems to be stable for now. I think I know why, but I hate making assumptions without reasoning to back them up. (Right). Anyway, if anyone has a proper explanation about this problem and could address that, it would be interesting and helpful to here other points of view. Or maybe an experienced pov.
Thanks in advance. It's a slow news day.

02-22-2008, 08:48 PM
You do know that Adobe has officially sworn off Multiple Master fonts, right? Haven't made any since 1999, haven't supported them since 2003. If you've got a customer with MM fonts, it's time for them to take the plunge and upgrade to the OpenType versions.

Edit: looks like Adobe discontinued the discounts for upgrading... some good info here:

02-22-2008, 09:44 PM
I guess I've been in denial. I've had so few problems with MM over the years, that I hadn't thought about it. Until the combination of MM with OTF fonts started causing trouble, I was basically on a roll. Thanks for the info. Knowing it shouldn't work will send me on the path of trying to figure out why one machine will work and another won't. I've been told that there was a post on some "forum" that by upgrading to OS 10.4.11, would be a solution. We upgraded one Mac and that seemed to solve the problem. I would love to tell customers not to do something, but not always the only option. Thanks again for you post.

02-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I have an update to the Quark/MM/OTF problem, and even though I'm not sure why it works, our solution seems to have solved the current problem. We upgraded our Mac OSXs from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11, and that seems to solve the problem for now, even though like you say, Multiple Masters may soon go extinct, at least we are rocking, without having quark crash on another mac. And that in the end is all that mattered for now!