PDA

View Full Version : priveleges error when run Preps

alstos
02-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I have downloaded Preps version 5.3.1 for Mac OS 10.11, and followed the installation instructions. This has been installed in a student lab environment. When a student login tries to run the software, the message "folder could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access priveleges" appears. Administrator login does not get this error. Students have been "allowed" to access this software under System Preferences. What else needs to be done? The dongle is attached.

jcannon
02-25-2008, 06:39 PM
I've ran into this problem before with multiple users. The only solution I found was to install Preps into different folders for each account and to install it for each account while logged into that account. I could never get the permissions set correctly to be able to run Preps from the same folder by different users.

robert.hammen
02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Yes, Preps does require a login with administrative access (or, as was mentioned, installing it in each non-administrative users' home folder). I'd like to see this behavior change in a future version of Preps...

jcannon
02-26-2008, 06:54 AM
In my case both users were admin but if you got the permissions set correctly for one of them to run Preps than the other one would not. And vice versa.

chrisr
02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Try changing the group to staff instead of admin.

chown -R :staff Preps*

I tested it here and it seemed to work.

robert.hammen
02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Yep, the chown command is your friend.

http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/AdvancedUnix/ugp/page2.ws

Although, I call again for Kodak to fix Preps so it doesn't require write access to the Preps application directory... heck, we're using the Floating License version of Preps Pro, all of the prefs/default settings are stored on the AraxiPreps network volume, and any temporary files can be created in /tmp. Why does Preps need write access/full control on the application directory again?

tom.adams
02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
You can use a utility called BatChmod to change the permissions of the Preps folder so everyone can read and write. It's much easier than using the shell commands. I believe it is a free download.