PDA

View Full Version : GUA Conference: What are you going to use the $3000 software credit for?

jaxtell
04-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Me, I haven't decided. Just curious though.

jerry

tclifford
04-25-2008, 04:28 PM
ColorFlow!

jaxtell
04-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Amen! Brother. That is going to be slick! Especially in v5.

jerry

rdarnell
04-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm donating my $3000 to Kodak, so they can upgrade their email server from Lotus Notes. I also have a copy of Quark 4 laying around in good condition. In the area of canned goods, I have green beans and fruit cocktail with double the cherries. They are going to really love me.

Eric Biggins
04-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Anyone happen to hear a price on ColorFlow?

Thanks,
Eric

tclifford
04-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I was told $3000. Not sure if thats offical but thats what I was told. - tc

Eric Biggins
04-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I was told $3000. Not sure if thats offical but thats what I was told. - tc
How convenient is that...I didn't think you could purchase anything for less than $5,000! Now as long as it qualifies (didn't see it listed, probably because it hasn't been officially announced yet) and is available before the conference credit expires that will be perfect.

Thanks Tom,
Eric

mark_jetzer
04-26-2008, 12:35 PM
I want Colorflow and the PDF/Illustrator Plugin!!!!! Both of which are pre-beta darn it.

We'll most likely get some refines engines or seat licenses, something boring like that. My bosses aren't to hip on "New" software. I always have to sneak in the beta and new versions without telling them.

jwebber
04-26-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm inclined to apply it to additional seats for Dashboard. That will pay for itself.

I'm sure ColorFlow isn't priced yet. They told me they haven't even worked out how existing advanced CM and Profile Wizard users will fit into the pricing scheme.

tclifford
04-26-2008, 04:34 PM
I talked with the product mamager about the ColorFlow $3K. He seemed confident that 3K will get you the software.... :)~

we'll be watching - tc

jwebber
04-26-2008, 04:51 PM
I talked with the product mamager about the ColorFlow $3K. He seemed confident that 3K will get you the software.... :)~

we'll be watching - tc

Sorry Tom,

I misunderstood your first post. . . Colorflow is a cool product! I get annoyed when I hear Kodak calling it "color management for dummies," though. It makes it sound like something Microsoft would sell. Like "Dave" or something.

. . . I'll be watching along with you.

rob.morgan
04-26-2008, 11:08 PM
I want Colorflow and the PDF/Illustrator Plugin!!!!! Both of which are pre-beta darn it.

Well we need to give you some incentive to come to next year's conference so we can get Judi up on the stage dressed like Cleopatra or something :-). Maybe you can convince your boss to come as well so you can get both.

tclifford
04-26-2008, 11:53 PM
or Princess Leia Bikini (http://www.leiasmetalbikini.com/tomak.html)? Now that would be huge! - tc

paulh
04-27-2008, 02:58 AM
Put Kevin Joyce in the Bikini.

(not)

demmons
04-28-2008, 02:33 PM
3 Lane Press Attendees x $3K + additional $3K = RBA!

There seems to be something about this RBA thing that is all the rage. Can't wait to get automatin'.

allan.larson
04-28-2008, 05:12 PM
You could apply it to the minibar charges if you accidently nudge the Pringles or the the assorted nut snacks at Wynn's hotel.

I dreamt of a bottled water, chilled in the fridge, and there was an $8 charge on the bill.

Great job to everyone on the GUA board and those who attended the show.

And congratulations Wendy!!!
AL

jim
04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm looking at Upfront and before I pull the trigger on this $10,000
item could I get some feed on how everyone is using it and do you
like it?

Jim Tomblinson
Assistant Plant Superintendent
Modern Litho-Print Co
6009 Stertzer Road
Jefferson City, MO 65101
800.456.5867 toll free
573.644.7027 direct line
573.636.2655 fax
www.modernlitho.com

jwebber
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
like it?
Probably a good item for a separate thread, but we're a commercial web shop and we've been using it successfully for a couple of years now. We have one planner and four builder licenses.

It takes a substantial commitment of energy to set up for your shop and accumulate standard press layouts, but once you do, you are able to free up your job planners to focus on planning new work and let CSR-types (job builders) pick tried-and-true configurations out of your list. It saves us a lot of time in prepress duplicating in Preps the planning that someone else has already done. (And opens the door to automating - RBA - job creation.)

tclifford
04-29-2008, 09:19 PM
3 years - love it - high learning curve - big setup curve - huge time savings - more consistant templates - nice database of old templates - ROCK ON! - tc
I'm looking at Upfront and before I pull the trigger on this $10,000 item could I get some feed on how everyone is using it and do you
like it?

kcoleman
04-29-2008, 10:19 PM
like it?

We've been on it for about four years now, and I concur with what everyone is saying it's not particularly user friendly, but if you put in the work it'll end up saving you tons of time. Be aware, however, that it's strong suite is not flexibility. We've found that it works great in a publication and "normal" commercial workflow, but if your shop regularly runs lots of odd-sized ganged jobs, etc., it may not work for you. We don't run in to it too often, but occasionally if we have the need to run something a bit unusual, we'll need to use Preps rather than UpFront.

mark_jetzer
04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
We've been on it for about four years now, and I concur with what everyone is saying it's not particularly user friendly, but if you put in the work it'll end up saving you tons of time. Be aware, however, that it's strong suite is not flexibility. We've found that it works great in a publication and "normal" commercial workflow, but if your shop regularly runs lots of odd-sized ganged jobs, etc., it may not work for you. We don't run in to it too often, but occasionally if we have the need to run something a bit unusual, we'll need to use Preps rather than UpFront.

That pretty much say it all. We took about 3 years to get Upfront running to the point we're comfortable with it. The thing I can say is, "Upfront is not just for prepress. The CSRs, Pressroom, Bindery and prepress ALL have to buy in, cause you're going to need their help."

paulh
06-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Can anybody point me to the documentation on the credit? I can't find it. Looking for available software, terms, when it expires, etc...
TIA.