PDA

View Full Version : Change default binding style?

dpcurry
02-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Is there a way to change the default binding style in Preps 4.2.3? It is currently "Perfect Bound", and the vast majority of my work is Flat, so I would like to change the default so I don't have to change the binding style every time I make a new job.

I looked in the Default.cfg file and couldn't see any likely candidates to make thais change.

tparnell
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
find the line "-DEFAULTBINDINGSTYLE:2" third from the bottom and change to -DEFAULTBINDINGSTYLE:1

you can change a lot of things in this file.
press sheet size
mark length...

sequoyah
02-22-2006, 05:14 PM
find the line "-DEFAULTBINDINGSTYLE:2" third from the bottom and change to -DEFAULTBINDINGSTYLE:1

This became available sometime in Preps 5.x, and was not in 4.2.3.

Al Ferrari

stevell72
02-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Also have standard sheet sizes already built so you dont have to go there then just add new impo
steve

jminrod
02-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi I am running 5.1.2 the only thing I see that is close to what was mentioned is -DEFAULT_JOB_KIND:1 can I change this number 1 to give em flat work. Thanks Jim

dpcurry
02-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi I am running 5.1.2 the only thing I see that is close to what was mentioned is -DEFAULT_JOB_KIND:1 can I change this number 1 to give em flat work. Thanks Jim

No, that changes the Job type that is created when you press Command-N - It can be Mixed Files (postscript), PDF>PDF, or Brisque.

Apparently my desire will remain unfulfilled unless I upgrade (not likely to happen anytime soon.)

Thanks, anyway.

sequoyah
02-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Dan Curry:

I am wondering why you are making new templates with every new job. Don't you save them in the Templates folder for reuse in other jobs? I am probably jumping to conclusions here.

Any way, here is a suggestion that may save you some steps.

Make a flat work template with the default sheet size. Delete the signature, and save it as " Empty Flatwork" (note the space in front of the name).

Make another flat work template with the default sheet size, and add a signature for every common sheet size used in your shop. To each of these signatures, add all the common marks you normally would use on such a press sheet. Don't add any impositions. Now save this as " Flatwork Sheets" (note the space).

Then when creating a new template for a job, start out with these two templates open. Copy the appropriate signature from " Flatwork Sheets" to " Empty Flatwork", create the imposition, and save using a new name.

The space in the name is so that they show up together in the finder. Select both, and type "Command O".

Al Ferrari

dpcurry
02-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Al,

Actually, my question didn't have anything to do with making templates. I was referring to the dialog that appears when adding signatures to a Preps job.

I appreciate your input regarding starting new templates anyway, and humbly offer my method which works great and is as follows:

I have a 2 master templates for each sheet size we run - 1 sheetwise and 1 work-and-turn. Each template has all the marks required, but no impo. I take it a step further and do a Get Info from the finder and check "Stationery Pad" on each file - this lets me open up the template as a fresh Untitled document, so I can't accidentally overwrite my masters - even hitting Command-S brings up the Save As dialog.

jminrod
02-27-2006, 04:21 PM
That Stationary pad trick is amazing. I don't know if I am the only one that didn't know this , but I think it should be posted all over the forum. Thanks so much. We have around 15 base templates and we have to check everyday to see if someone accidentaly saved over them. Thanks again Jim

sequoyah
02-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Dan,

You are right that I was thinking about making templates instead of selecting signatures.

Your use of the Stationery Pad in the Get Info is nifty. In OS9 I would use "locked" to make it write only, but this new option in OSX is much beter.

BTW, the cfg line -DEFAULTBINDINGSTYLE:3 in Preps 5.1.5 sets the binding style for both making templates and selecting signatures.

blair
02-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Stationery Pads are not new, they have been available for at least 12 years now. They are part of the Mac OS that make it just slightly ahead of its time, and that much nicer for us to work on.

sequoyah
02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Well what do you know! Even an old dog can learn a new old trick on a good day. I had never noticed it or missed it. I probably relied on Quark and PageMaker templates instead. So why did these applications bother to write code for the template feature instead of directing users to use Stationery Pads?

Thanks for pointing that out to me.